Chapter 24

Three ambulances arrived at the scene and Hector watched from the middle of a crowd of onlookers, beside himself with worry. He saw them rush Dante and Mae away then Hale but Luisa was still in the car. He knew what that meant but it wasn't until the coroner came for her body that he accepted the fact that she was dead. He jammed his fist in his mouth, biting hard on his knuckles to keep from crying out and jumped back in his car to race to the hospital. There was nothing for him to do but Hector was lost in his grief and it seemed like the next logical step. Jax had set the entire thing in motion, so Salazar was going to do what he could to make him pay.

Each of the ambulances transporting the living accident victims skidded to a halt outside the emergency entrance of Saint Thomas one after another. Dante and Mae were sped in while Dave was moved more slowly in less urgent need of care. Opie had accompanied Mae on the ride but was left standing in the doorway as they wheeled her down the hall. In that moment, alone, he crashed. The adrenaline was gone as quickly as it had flooded him and he felt the overwhelming sadness and fear. Hector arrived to see the paramedics jump back in their rigs, their jobs completed, and make their way out of the parking lot. Jax, Chibs and Piney were suddenly behind Opie, a surprise as he hadn't even registered the sound of their Harley's, and pushed him into the waiting room. Pressing him down into a chair Jax finally felt some sort hope as Tara rushed through the automatic double doors. She wasn't scheduled but he called her knowing there was no other doctor they'd want working on Mae. Tara didn't stop to greet them, she raced right through to find where they had taken her.

"Tara's on it, Ope." There wasn't anything more he could say, Jax wasn't going to promise anything at this point. All he could really focus on was getting to Dante to make sure he didn't wake up. "Gemma's got your kids and the prospect got your bike."

"I don't give a fuck about my bike!" He snapped and jumped to his feet. "Who were they?"

"I don't know," Jax said quickly. "Girl's dead, guy was pretty damn close to it. I didn't get a chance to check ink but I didn't recognize them. Had to be for Hale, bro, this ain't on us."

"I need to know for sure this isn't my fault, Jax."

"Black?" Piney asked gruffly. He agreed with his son, they needed to be positive this was about Hale and not some kind of attack on SAMCRO. It would be irresponsible and dangerous just to assume so.

"Brown," Opie said as he began to pace the room. "What about the Mayan's? I thought that shit got squashed."

"It did, Juice is reaching out now to see if anyone heard anything." Chibs had taken it upon himself to task Juice with that job and Jax tried to hide his displeasure. He doubted any crew would know anything but he didn't like taking that risk. Normally he would have been in agreement with them about finding out the truth, but not now, when he knew was the one at fault.

Unser and a few deputies hurried in and even though none of the club members were involved in the kidnapping everyone tensed as they made their way over to the group. "I'll deal with this," Jax held his hand out to stop Opie and the others from joining the conversation. He stepped aside with Unser while the deputies went off to check on their colleague and begin the investigation. "What did you find out?"

"Got a call, Hale'll be fine apparently once he wakes up. We got nothing off that girl Luisa Gonzalez, no record at all. I got a team at Hale's now for prints but she had gloves on so I doubt they'll get much. How's Mae?"

Jax shrugged, "Didn't hear anything. Who called you?"

"His doctor." Unser shrugged. "When it's cops they really get on that shit." He looked around the room conspiratorially before speaking again. "Is this you guys?"