Chapter 15

Mae was sitting up in bed, Opie snoring loudly beside her, as her fingers moved quickly over the keys of her laptop. Being put on leave was helpful, in a way, at least she could care for Opie and take time to begin searching and applying for a new job. She had no delusions as to how their vote would go. Even if, on the off chance, she was able to continue at the school maybe it wasn't the best spot for her.

"Hey." Opie groaned as he tried to shift his weight to roll over but couldn't, he was in too much pain. It was a pleasant surprise to see him open his eyes. After they'd gotten him home he'd slept straight through the night and the entire next day. Tara reassured her he needed the rest but Mae still worried.

"You're awake." Giggling, she shut the lid, put the computer on the nightstand, and cuddled beside him, careful not to touch his leg. "How are you? Ready to get back to work yet?"

"Shit, I'm milking this, girl." As she nestled her head on his shoulder he kissed her head. "Tara leave anything for pain?"

"Does it hurt?" She looked at him, concern flooding her. Mae knew the extent of the injury but for some reason Opie admitting pain was unexpected, like her big bear of a man couldn't possibly be hurting.

Ope shrugged, "Little bit."

Knowingly she nodded and hurried into the bathroom to grab the meds and a glass of water. Tiptoeing back to bed, in just a cami and pair of panties, she slipped him two pills and took her spot again. "Jax is coming by later," she started.

"Something happen?" There was some annoyance in his voice toward the Mayan troubles but he didn't see too putout, he actually welcomed a visit from Jax.

"I don't know, I don't think so but you were out of it for almost thirty six hours, he probably just wants to see how you are."

"I missed a whole day?" His eyes popped, shocked that he'd slept for that long, Mae just laughed and nodded. "Kids at school?"

"Yeah, I kept them home yesterday, it was just too crazy but Piney took them in for me this morning." The way she spoke about Kenny and Ellie made Opie smile, he loved how she cared for them and how well they all got along.

"You're so good with them, thank you." Opie waited, thinking she'd just come out with something concerning the school but Mae didn't say anything else. "So? Did you hear anything?"

"No, they met yesterday but no word yet. I'm not holding out hope though. I saw a few job listings and Gary told me there was a women's shelter hiring." None of that seemed to spark anything in her though.

"It'll be okay," he assured her, stroking her hair softly. "Shitty taste in men but you got a brain, anyone would be lucky to have you." Mae blushed and chuckled awkwardly, she could never graciously accept his compliments. "Never got a chance to talk to you," he said as his eyes fell on the manuscript she'd placed on the dresser.

She looked up at him, not sure what he could have had to talk to her about right then. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I was just wondering if you read it?" He nodded toward the leather binder. "What were you thinking about it and shit."

"Oh!" Mae laughed and nodded excitedly. "I love it. Jax's dad was a wonderful writer and I think his ideas are goals you two should work toward achieving. Especially since it'll keep you from getting hurt again, Ope."

"Hey, don't get upset. I'm fine."

Her chin quivered; as usual she could hardly keep from crying. "It was bad, you know that. You're not the only one who worries, Harry." Speaking firmly and using his given name was her way of letting him know she was completely serious. "Promise me you two will do this. I want you safe, here with me."