Chapter 7

Sheepishly Mae entered the Charming police station, she couldn't wait to talk to Dave, inappropriate location or not. No one knew they were together which meant she had to ask for him, it shouldn't have been so nerve-racking but it definitely was.

"Hi," she smiled politely at the receptionist. "I'm looking for David Hale." The woman grinned and nodded as she picked up the desk phone to call him. "You can tell him Mae's here."

It only took a second after the call was complete for Hale to get into the bullpen from his office. "Hey," he was more upbeat than she expected. "We can talk in my office."

He tried to secretly take her hand, leading her back down the long hall of offices, but Unser caught the small gesture with keen interest. He'd never met Mae but had heard all about her from Clay during the investigation into Zobelle's and Weston's murders.

"Why aren't you at work?" Perched on the edge of his desk Dave looked at her with concern but mostly exhaustion. The last week had been exceptionally trying to him, emotionally and mentally.

"I took a personal day." Mae hung back by the door and small bookshelf, her body language more telling than anything. She was uncomfortable being there, especially to break up with him, nervous and a small bit guilty. "We need to talk, David. I know it's not the best place but I really couldn't wait."

He knew, he'd been expecting it. Actually, Dave was kind of surprised she waited as long as she did. "Yeah I've been meaning to sit down with you, can't really get your full attention lately."

"I'm sorry," she said quickly. Breaking up with him was never in the plan but then again, Opie wasn't either. "It's been a crazy couple of days."

Before she could start Dave made his way over to her, he had to go first. "I'm worried about you Mae."

"I'm fine." She said, pulling a face. "You don't have to worry about me anymore."

It was such a shame how blind she was to her own worth and the true darkness of the club. "I'm always going to worry about you." He intertwined his fingers with hers. "Not just as a citizen of Charming."

"Dave, we have to end this, our relationship, I can't do it anymore."

"Opie?" He didn't let go of her hand.

"Even if Opie wasn't in the picture, we would never work, not long term. We can't even be out in public together because of your job and my past." Maybe if they hadn't hidden for so long she wouldn't be doing this. He regretted ever suggesting they keep it a secret.

"Jesus, Mae, don't you see what's going on? Ope cheated, you left him, and he disappeared for six solid months. He didn't try to win you back or change your mind, then suddenly he pops up out of nowhere because he needs help, it's not real."

"That's... not what it's like."

"It is." He said insistently. "Right now, you play a part and it's valuable, just like before. Once your job is done, he'll be in bed with another croweater or porn star."

Mae's eyes narrowed, he didn't know what really happened and why Opie cheated but mentioning it was low. She shoved him back and laughed darkly.

"Oh yes and you're so much better. Bringing up that shit, that's real sweet. You don't know anything about Ope or our relationship." Crossing her arms over her chest Mae could feel bile inching up and burning her throat. She hated, no, she despised being reminded of what he did.

Coming toward her again Dave clicked the lock on the office door, her stomach dropped at the sound. "Sit down."

"No, I'm leaving, we're done."