Chapter 7- Just a Little Kiss

When Severus woke up the next morning, he was in an unfamiliar room. He remembered falling asleep on the floor in Julia's sitting room, but now he was in a bed.

He was still in the same clothes he wore yesterday, he noticed as he walked through one of the doors leading out of the bedroom.

Well why wouldn't he be? He thought to himself.

Severus immediately recognised Julia's sitting room. So he had been sleeping in her bed?

He then caught sight of Julia fast asleep on the sofa, a blanket covering her short frame. Her face was relaxed; the only time she let her defences down was when she was asleep.

Keeping his eyes on her as he sat down, he realised how kind she was, to sleep on the sofa so he could be comfortable. She was such a sweet woman, and that was one of the many reasons why he loved her so much. He couldn't tell her though, it would ruin their friendship if she rejected him, and he didn't want to lose her like he had Lily.

Severus was still watching her when she slowly woke up. When Julia saw him, she smiled sleepily.

"Morning deary."

Severus frowned pointedly at her choice of endearment.

"Deary?!"

"Either that or Sevvykins." She mumbled, her eyes still closed and a sneaky smile on her face.

"Deary's fine, I have no problem with deary." He said quickly.

"That's right deary. Make me a cup of tea, would you, and no one need know." She grinned evilly. She loved having something over him.

Severus scrambled to his feet and hurried to the kitchen whilst Julia got dressed.

She was properly clothed, sat on the sofa when he returned with her cup of tea and some biscuits. One of the first things he learnt about her at Hogwarts was that she liked to dip rich teas into her hot beverages, but Severus found the taste abhorrent.

Her tweed jacket covered a cream blouse and black pencil skirt, matched with black heels to make up for her lack of height. Severus liked to make fun of her height, and it was something she was very conscious of.

"Thanks sweetie!" She said in a sickly sweet voice.

"Does the beverage I prepared meet your impeccably high standards, milady?" He said in a fake posh tone.

"It is good enough for me to keep my mouth shut for one day, I suppose." She replied grudgingly.

Severus breathed a sigh of relief, he would retain a shred of dignity for another day.

Holding the cup of tea he made for himself, he asked her "Sleep well?"

"I did, thank you Batman."

"Why was I in your bed? Wait, who's Batman?"

Julia recoiled in horror.

"Who's Batman? WHO'S BATMAN?! I must educate you!"

"You didn't answer my question."

"Because I put you there. You didn't really want to sleep on the floor, did you?"

"I mean, why didn't you sleep in your bed? I would have been fine on the sofa."

"It's just manners, isn't it? You give the guest the best bed." A blush slowly worked its way up her face, and she turned away.

"Thank you. You are unfailingly kind, especially to someone as undeserving as I."

"Undeserving? I think not. You got me away from daddy dearest all those years ago." She spat the nickname of her ex guardian bitterly.

"But what else have I done? I've been a burden to my parents, I as good as killed Lily, and now I'm being a burden to you as well!"

"You, Severus Snape, cannot and will never be a burden. I care about you."

"As a friend?" Severus asked nervously. It was too much for him to hope for for her to hold even a tiny amount of the attraction he held for her.

"Uh, yeah. A friend." She stammered. She had mistaken his nervousness for uncertainty. He couldn't like her back, she thought. For someone so attractive, there was most likely many women fawning over him, much more beautiful than her pitiful self.

Just then, a house elf popped in in front of them.

"Good morning, Professor Snape and Professor Evermore. Hooky is bringing you breakfast because Headmaster Dumbledore wants you to spend some time alone. I am hoping this is good enough for you, Sir, Miss."

"Thank you Hooky. This looks wonderful!" She smiled kindly at the little elf.

Hooky beamed an almost toothless grin.

"I am so glad I could be of service, Miss!"

"Do you think you could pass on a message to Professor Dumbledore?" Severus asked.

"Of course, Professor Snape, Sir!" Hooky drew his chest up, as of it were an honour to be trusted with such a task.

"Could you tell him to stop meddling in our affairs, please?"

"Yes sir!" He said and popped out.

Julia began to laugh.

"Shall we go to our lessons now?" She said after they had finished their substantial breakfast.

"Alright." He said, almost regrettably.

"Who do you have first?" She asked.

"Second years, Slytherin and Ravenclaw. You?"

"Third years Slytherin and Gryffindor."

"Oh, good luck with that! They fight enough in fourth year Potions. The general Slytherin prejudice will be even more unbearable in your class, and the Gryffindors will stick their obnoxious noses in where it is not wanted as usual."

"I will be teaching them 'Why Muggles need electricity' today. It should be interesting!" Julia said enthusiastically.

Severus merely nodded in response.

They stood up to go to their respective classes, and walked together in silence.

When they reached Julia's classroom, Severus looked around to make sure no one was there.

"Good luck today Lia. I know you will be brilliant." He kissed her on the cheek and walked off.

"Severus?" Julia called after him.

He turned around, an eyebrow raised.

Julia didn't know what to say, so she settled with a "Thank you" before blushing.

Severus gave her a half smile and rounded the corner. Julia touched the cheek Severus had kissed in a daze. Maybe he did feel something for her after all...

Once he was out of sight, Severus leaned against the wall.

The dunderheads- no, he had promised Julia not to treat them as such anymore. The students would arrive soon and he had to compose himself. He would try to be nicer, but still have their respect.

He then thought of Julia.

Why did I kiss her? I could have ruined their friendship by just a little kiss! Maybe she would just see it as a friendly gesture... No, who would see a kiss like that as friendly? I wonder how she felt about it?

Little did Severus know that Julia was hopelessly in love with him, but was just too scared to admit it. Just one little kiss gave her hope.

A/N New chapter, yay! Sorry it took so long to upload! I don't know when the next update will be, I have my Latin sources mock and a big Maths test this week and I'm really stressing! Hope you enjoyed the chapter, see you all in the next one!

~Hannah~