Chapter Thirty Six

Start from the beginning

"Guys," I scold. "Look, just because we don't like her; doesn't mean we talk about her like that. It's her own choices and her own life. We shouldn't be judging her. She can do whatever she wants. She is free of her own choices. Just leave her alone and ignore her. That's the only right thing to do."

"Anna's right," Alex nods. "Just because she judges others, doesn't mean we be like her."

"Exactly," Sophie agrees.

"Okay, but seriously? He just had to bring her with him," Zach runs his hand through his brown curls, sighing.

I just shrug and put the earphones in my ears, then I play the music on my phone, while proceeding on with my book to distract myself from Jennie and Luke. I guess that's what I'm going to do from now on.

"Hey, guys," I hear his faint voice and they all greet him back, while I stay quiet as if I didn't hear him. Jennie and Luke take a seat on the bench of the lunch table.

"Um...do you really eat all of that?" I hear Jennie asking in disgust and I look up to find her wrinkling her nose.

I pause my playlist. "No, we take a selfie with half of it," I couldn't help but answer for her, smiling sarcastically.

She rolls her eyes. "I honestly don't know what is wrong with you."

"Nothing's wrong with me. I'm just being mean for no reason at all," I tell her sweetly.

"Cherries," Luke sighs and I roll my eyes, unpausing my playlist again, lowering the volume just a bit in case anything happens and I continue reading.

"Aren't you supposed to be with your friends, Jennie?" Zach asks.

"Yes, but I wanted to spend some more time with my boyfriend," she smiles at Luke and he gives her a lopsided smile back.

"We're eating here. Thank you," Sophie butts in and shoves more crisps in her mouth.

"Gross," Jennie grimaces.

"Do you have a problem with food?" I ask her.

She is really starting to annoy me. This is literally what everybody eats and she's acting like it's a sin. It's food; all humans eat it.

"Do you have a problem with me?" She scoffs.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm the one who's being a total annoyance and not minding her own business," the sarcasm drips from my voice.

"At least you know yourself, sweetie," she smiles widely in a fake way.

"Cherries, can I talk to you for a minute outside?" Luke requests, sounding kinda annoyed.

"Okay," I shrug.

I get up and place the book in my bag, then I do the same thing with my phone after I unplug the earphones out. Luke walks ahead of me, marching to the exit of the cafeteria and I stroll behind him. I glance at the girls and Sophie secretly crosses her fingers and I cross them behind my back too. I follow Luke until we walk out in the empty hallway and he turns to me, looking mad.

"What's up with you?" He asks.

"Nothing," I reply. "Why do you think there's something wrong with me?"

"Maybe because you're treating Jennie like shit?" He answers firmly.

"Me?" I sputter in disbelief . "She's the one who has been against me since forever! How am I treating her like crap when she's treating me worse?"

"I know that you don't like her, but can't you just suck it up until she leaves?" He snaps at me.

"You know you're treating me like I'm the only one who has done a mistake here, when you have done the exact same thing!" I shout, pointing at him.