Chapter 20 : Fame Comes With (Mis)Fortune

Soarin was hanging out in Ponyville with Spitfire, Fleetfoot, and Surprise. Surprise had come along to make friends with Pinkie Pie, and ran off to find her. Soarin saw Rainbow leaving the Friendship Castle with her friends, each holding some sort of book in their hooves. He, Spitfire, and Fleetfoot got closer.

"So, we all agree that's what we should do?" Twilight asked, and they nodded "Excellent! Starlight and I will start making more copies, this is going to be great!" She exclaimed, running back into the castle.

"Ooh! All this publicity is going to promote my boutiques! I'll have to make double my normal quantity!" Rarity said happily, trotting off.

"I'll probably be really popular, and you too, Fluttershy!" Pinkie said, as the two headed off together. Applejack waved goodbye to Rainbow before also trotting off, and Soarin and his friends approached Rainbow.

"Hey Rainbow, what are you guys talking about?" Spitfire asked

"Twilight found our old friendship journal in her library, and she made us all new copies. Then she came up with a great idea about how to promote friendship! We could give out copies of our journal, we all learned so much about friendship, it's basically like a guide on how to make friends." Rainbow explained, passing over the book she was holding. Spitfire took the offered book and flipped through a few pages as Soarin responded.

"That's a great idea Rainbow, it'll be a great opportunity for ponies to understand how to act with friends." Soarin said, nuzzling her.

"Hey, Rainbow, is this true about how you and your friends went exploring in the Castle of the Two Sisters? I thought the Everfree Forest was too dangerous to enter." Spitfire said

"Oh, yeah, well, we've been in there before, so we know how to stay safe, unlike some ponies." Rainbow responded, glancing pointedly at Spitfire and Fleetfoot, who both grinned sheepishly before looking back down at the book.

"Thith ith tho cool-wait, Daring Do ith real?!" Fleetfoot exclaimed, and Rainbow laughed guiltily

"Oh yeah, I forgot that entry was in there. I better tell Twi to remove it from the other copies, A.K won't want her cover blown. But you can't tell any pony Fleetfoot, A.K would kill me if she knew you found out." Rainbow said, and Fleetfoot nodded eagerly

"Whatever, but I can't believe that you met her!" Fleetfoot said excitedly, flipping through the book, searching, Soarin assumed, for more accounts of the Daring Do series.

A few days later, Soarin was reading a copy of the friendship journal, Rainbow had given one each to him, Spitfire, and Fleetfoot, since they'd seemed interested. Soarin was surprised to come across a passage by Scootaloo and her friends. Apparently, they'd been using their lessons with Twilight to increase their popularity at school, but had realized they were using their tie with her for the wrong thing, and written about it in the journal. Soarin was flipping through it again when he came across one in Rainbow's hoof writing. It was an entry about the Equestria Games tryouts, and Soarin smiled fondly as he read the last part.

"I can't deny it; I love to win! But when it comes down to winning or sticking with my friends, I'm always going to choose my friends." Soarin traced his hoof along the words. It was so much like Rainbow to say this, and he knew that the Elements made the right choice when they picked her to be the Element of Loyalty. Soarin was in his room in Holiday and Lofty's house, and suddenly heard the door open

"Who is it?" He called out

"Soarin, it's me." Came Rainbow's voice, as she entered the room.

"Dashie! I was just looking at that entry you did about the tryouts, you were right, Spitfire was being a-well, a jerk." Soarin said, and Rainbow giggled, though it sounded forced to Soarin. "Is something wrong?" He asked, concerned.