Chapter 11: Why am I here

Moon on the sky. Wind with a chill. The cities dark cept for the few entertainment halls with bright lights. The Palace on the other hand was decorated with festive lights. Loud music accompany dancing troops. Monks on the side praying on every corner.

Most people could see the Emperor was in a bad mood. However traditions were traditions. Every year on this month, the Emperor had to capture a beast in the dark to dispel any concealed menace from harming the nation.

Most knew the Emperor did not like the rituals and often liked to mock them. Harvest had been slow thus one could understand the Emperor needed to show humility for morals.

Bemused he sat on the throne. His head resting on his hand. His trusted advisers and ministers occupied the seats behind him, with genuine smiles, that most knew better than to believe were anything but pleasantries.

The story goes, The Emperor had summoned the new empress to go hunting with him much to the opposition of the monks. yet the all the seats before the emperor were filled but the seat next to him remained empty.

"Bexia, perhaps her majesty is still reco..."

A cold glance silenced the often brave Consort Hu. Many attempts to disway the emperor, yet the emperor silenced everyone.

Zi Xin sat in a room. Not letting anyone in. He could not fathom what to do. He had convinced himself that all of this was but a task he had to complete. A retribution for upsetting the balance between the Yin and Yang.

He was biding his time and considering his options. Why had he embroiled himself in this mess.

The night was warmer than usual. One could only feel chills. The imperial hall glowed yet the inside one dared not too breathe too deeply for they may inhale ice shards.

"Shoo"

Stomach acids could be felt on the throat as every one stared wide eyed at the arrow in the Emperor's hand.

Someone had a death wish. Long Wei opened the letter tied to the arrow.

"Come, if it is a hunting competition you want, If Zi Xin claims second place no one can say they are the first."

Tempting smile as forbidden as a spider lily bloomed on the Emperor's face. He had thought the palace polished all her rough edges. It seemed that was not true.

"The empress should be punished. She dared leave before us. Prepare our attire."

The look adoring the Emperor's face, what misfortunes might befall tonight only time might tell.

The wind slapping Zi Xin's face. Cold needles grazing his flesh. The horse galloping on the uneven roads. This was what being alive felt. The heart beating against the chest to get out. Excitement rushing through the veins.

"I've missed this." Zi Xin screamed, his voice lost in the rushing air.

It had been quiet sometime since he shot the arrow in the hall. That man should already be in the forest by now.

Long Wei leisurely strolled in the forest. His horse got spooked by a measly snake and ran off throwing him off its back.

The Moon had reached the peak of the sky yet Zi Xin had not seen that man nor any other living beings could be seen or heard. Such a dense forest without any things living in it could only mean...

"There is something that is eating and scaring everything else." confirmed a voice comming from the dense canopy.

When Zi Xin's eyes looked up came down a twirl of shades of gold and red. The impact drove the horse to a frenzy. Zi Xin held on the ropes tighter to steady the horse.

"Do you always have..." a frustrated Zi Xin looked behind only to see that man looking down at him with unhinged amusement in his eyes.

That man's cool breath smelled of sweet wine. Zi Xin kicked hard causing the horse to drop the man as intended.

"Hahaha.." a full bodied laughter bellowed in the empty forest. Zi Xin was trapped between the cold ground and laughing maniac above him.

"The empress revels in such acts of passion." That man's amused hands stopped on Zi Xin's cheeks, running gentle circles.

"What does the Emperor want." Yenay's eyes were clear yet her brows appeard to hide some sadness.

A gentler smile floated on Long Wei's face, his brows mirroring Yenay's. A pitiful sight.

Zi Xin sighed. He was always like this; this man. No matter which expression. It was always picturesque.

"What does the Emperor want?"

"Do you wish for me to be a slave?"

Long Wei's face distorted skin to a beautiful crushed by the hands.

"We would not touch a slave."

"Why is Zi Xin here lord?"

Yenay's face much like her voice was fatigued.

"You do not need Zi Xin."

A sad smile bloomed on her face. Ber eyes looking sideways.

"You do not love Zi Xin."

Her words unknownst to her containted accusations.

"You do not even care for Zi Xin."

She looked directly into his eyes. Questioning him why.

Why indeed. At first it was simply to amuse oneself with this odd predicament. Later it was just convenient, perhaps?

Long Wei examined Yaney's face more closely. Now that she had not trained and perhaps due to all the mistreatment. She looked much frailer. He weaved his hands in her hair.

He enjoyed her presence. Well he knew that even in the mountains.
A smile broke out thinking about the times they spent in the mountains.

Yet Long Wei knew that was but an illusion, it was entertaining much akin to a display of fireworks. If run too long would result in disteaste.

Why he kept her he had no discerned yet. Did he even like her? He enjoyed her; thoroughly.

"We are attached to you. We wish to see you break. Yet when we break you it disturbs us. Yenay, you to us..."

"There is a snake behind us." All movement stalled. Zi Xin gave a silent affirmation.

The houses we not cowardly. The snakes here were pouring poison to the touch.

Zi Xin tried to reach out. But Long Wei gripping her hand instead.

"This is a stronger poison then you have come accustomed to."

Zi Xin retracted her hands. "Why do you care. She quickly used her legs to to tie the Emperor. With one hand locking him in her arms. With her free hand she grabbed the snake, crashing it into a near by the. The part of the tree touching the snake burnt with a foul smell.

Long Wei crackled. "They have infested the forest with poisonous snakes."

Zi Xin agreed silently.

"How long does the empress wish to trap us in her arm." Long Wei teased. He could smell rose petals from her hair snuggling into to her further.

Till then Zi Xin was focused solely on the burn on her hands. She remembered when she was a child she once touched a hot rice jar...

She quietly let that man go. Not receiving any movement Long Wei felt she Yenay had lost herself into her thoughts. He lifted his body enough to come face to face with her. Without warning he pushed his tongue down her throat.

A/N

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you who despite my shortcomings still eagerly wait for and then read this story. Also again really sorry for the last version. That was unfair to the characters and you as the readers.