Training Lost Boys and Mothers

Start from the beginning

Wendy conceded. "I suppose you're right. John? Michael? How about you go first, then I'll follow."

John took off his top hat and handed it to his sister. "I shall endeavor to make you proud." John approached the first bar, took a deep breath and grabbed hold. He paused for a moment dangling in the air, then began to swing back and forth. Reaching the momentum he needed he reached for the next bar. Wendy held her breath. John reached the third bar and swung for the next until he had crossed the bridge and landed on the other side.

The lost boys cheered! Wendy released her breath.

"My turn! My turn!" Michael insisted.

Michael was too short to reach the bar, so Slightly held him up. Michael made quick work of the bridge being so light and was soon on the other side with his brother. More cheers!

"Come on Mother it's your turn!" Michael shouted. Wendy smiled nervously.

"Oh, now why don't the rest of you go and then I'll come over last." She said gesturing to the rest of the lost boys.

"No, Mother it's your turn." Peter said sternly from the ground.

Wendy sighed. Gathering her courage she stepped up to the first bar.

"It's all about the momentum!" John yelled encouragingly.

"Right, momentum, and not falling that's all it takes." She muttered under her breath.

With her head held high, she tentatively reached for the first bar. Placing both hands on it she let herself hang and tried not to look down.

"Remember the momentum! Rock back and forth, and then don't stop moving." John called again.

Slowly Wendy swung her legs back and forth until she had enough motion to propel her to the next bar. Now she was stuck, hanging from two bars. She looked ahead; she still had at least ten more bars to go.

Nibs saw that Wendy was struggling. "Come on Mother! You can do it!" He encouraged. The rest of the boys picked up the chant.

"Come on Mother! Go Mother!"

Wendy was heartened by their cheers, and bravely let go of the first bar to catch the second with her other hand. Then she began to swing again, reaching for the third bar. She repeated this process until she made it to the eighth bar. Her palms had started to become sweaty, and her arms were trembling. They weren't used to this kind of particular strain. Come on Wendy you can do this! She had to reach the next bar! She was so close! Then without warning she slipped.

With a loud thump she landed on her side on the hard ground.

"Mother!" Several of them shouted.

The boys gasped and raced to help her. Peter, who had watched the whole thing, raised a hand to stop them. The boys looked at their leader like he was crazy! Mother had just fallen and he wasn't doing anything about it?

Wendy laid on the ground gasping for air; she rolled onto her back and stared up into the treetops. What had just happened? Regaining her breath she sensed that everyone was looking at her. Her pride was hurt more than she was. Wendy struggled to stand up; her bad leg was throbbing in pain. She swayed, being a little dizzy. The boys made to help her, put Peter's glare backed them down.

Peter wasn't being heartless; in fact his heart had skipped when he saw Wendy fall. It had taken everything in him not to rush to her aid. But he had to see. Being strong was more than physical strength. He had to see if it was in her.

Wendy dusted herself off; she was determined to show them she could cross that bridge. Even if it took a hundred more falls. Huffing, she climbed the ladder again.