And Austin Makes 3

Start from the beginning

John sat down across from me.

“How’s the pizza?”

“It’s good. Do you want a bite?”

“No, I had some at lunch… I just didn’t know if it was good leftover.”

“Oh, yeah, it’s fine.”

I could tell John was making small talk and that he had something he needed to tell me, but he was stalling.

“John, just tell me.”

“Tell you what?”

“Something’s bothering you. You’re making small talk. You never make small talk.”

“Yes I do.”

“No, you don’t.”

“Yes I-”

“John. Tell me. I don’t feel like arguing.”

“Alright… Rebecca might be going into labor.”

“What? Why didn’t you just tell me? This is major news! We have to go see her!”

“Hold on, Lex. I told you she might be in labor. I don’t know for sure yet. Andy called me earlier and told me that she seemed to be having contractions and that they were on their way to the hospital. He said he’d text me as soon as he found out if she was in labor or not.”

“Wait a minute. I thought she and Andy broke up.”

“They did, but he thought since he’s the father he needed to be there for her.”

“Oh, that’s good.”

“Hold on, I think my phone’s vibrating.”

He took his phone out of his pocket and looked at the screen.

“Well?” I asked.

“She’s in labor.”

“We need to get to the hospital right now.” I put a lot of emphasis on the word ‘right.’

“We won’t be able to do anything but sit in the waiting room.”

“I don’t care. I’m Rebecca’s friend and I need to be there for her.”

“Fine, let’s go.”

“Hold on. I need to ask mom if she can watch the twins or if we need to take them with us.”