S.1 E.10 ~ GN (Ch. 58)

"Thought there was something wrong with him." Wilbur scoffed out into a subtle cough as his eyes stayed on the man in the spotlight.

Murphy only allowed a glare back at his insult. Surprisingly.

"His blood carries antibodies for the zombie virus." Doc added, impressing himself for remembering what Citizen Z had informed us.

"He's our last best hope for humanity." Warren didn't seem so sure of herself, but the facts had already presented themselves to us.

So, we all had to deal with the fact that, yes, Murphy was the best hope for humanity. Sadly. But, I mean, is he really? He's such an ass; too much of an ass, really.

"Yeah, right, and I'm the Easter Bunny." Wilbur refused to believe the top-secret information.

I can't blame him.

Four years ago, if someone had told me that the apocalypse was with zombies, and I'd be separated from my brother and in a group of a lieutenant, a magic grass smoker, a kid--who probably doesn't know who Paul Walker is--that can shoot 500-yards out, and a woman nicknamed Sunshine, I'd probably call them crazy.

"Show him." Warren ordered Murphy.

This is the first time that she's actually wanted him to show someone. It's always been Murphy volunteering to flaunt what that scientist gave him. Murphy shrugged off the stolen backpack and unbuttoned his fake-brand shirt.

Taking a silent breath of air, Murphy moved the shirt off of his shoulders to reveal healing bites. Eight, healing bites. Wilbur jumped to his feet, aiming his gun to point at Murphy, but his mistake?

He wasn't aiming at his head, no where near his head, really. My eyes lit up like the Fourth of July. I scrambled to get in between the two of them.

"Oh, my God." Amelia said breathlessly.

I raised my arms from my side, refusing to move away from being Murphy's personal bodyguard. Charlie died believing that this man could cure him and so many others. I'm not going to let a radiation-infected man destroy his belief.

They could get a perfect shot to his head since my height was just to Murphy's chest. No way I could save that body part. Doing my best, though.

"Now look, man, this dude here's the real deal." Doc promised, trying to calm both of them down.

"And a lot of good people got killed to get him this far." I added, aligning my back against his chest.

The bullet would have to go straight through mine before touching him. The speed of the bullet would slow down, but not by much. They're too close for it to hit only me. I looked up at Murphy, feeling his eyes burn at the top of my head.

A smile slowly formed at the tips of my mouth. My right arm moved my hand to in front of my face where my index finger tapped my nose. I won't ever protect Murphy, because I believe in him.

I will protect Murphy, because my father-figure died believing in him. Murphy's the last thing I have of Charlie, and I'll be damned before I let anything happen to him.

"So, tell us what we need to do to shut down that reactor so we can be on our way." Warren encouraged their voice so we could get the day going.

It can't be too hard, right?

"Unless, of course, you have eggs to lay, Mister Bunny." Murphy seethed out the insult, not caring that a gun was still in Wilbur's possession.

Idiot. I'm nothing to Wilbur so he could easily kill both of us and sleep like a kitten at night. Well, that's if Warren and Doc let him live that long. I nudged my pointy elbow into Murphy's rib cage, knowing there was a bite right there.