Knockin' on Heavens Door (Eagle Flies x reader)

Summary: Reader gets wounded very badly, and nearly dies. 

Requested by: Its_ya_girl_abby

A/N: This is not related to any of my other EF works, it's just a similar storyline

W: mentions of blood

"Mama put my guns in the ground
I can't shoot them anymore
That cold black cloud is comin' down
Feels like I'm knockin' on heaven's door"

-

There was so much blood, everywhere. The colors of the land around you were bleeding into a haze. You weren't even sure if you were standing anymore. There was shouting, you heard someone asking where you were. 

"They're retreating! Someone find Y/n" Dutch's familiar voice rang over the silencing gunfire.

Your eyes were closed but you could still hear. There were violent tears spilling down your face, but the shock was too heavy for you to feel any real pain. 

"Dutch! Over hear" It was John's voice, a small flurry of voices came rushing forward. 

"Why wasn't someone covering her?" Dutch yelled, "Miss. Grimshaw, get her into a tent fast". 

You were hoisted carefully into the air, there was a swift rush of wind as your body was rushed into the cover of a tent. 

"Charles, ride up to Wapiti and get Eagle Flies, this doesn't look good". 

-

You were out like a light, apparently you were still breathing but it didn't make much difference to you. The bleeding was off and on, but no one could get it to stop completely. The morning sun was beginning to rise. 

Approaching the camp was a thunder of horse hooves. It was Charles returning with Eagle Flies. It was pretty surprising that they were able to make that ride so quickly. Hosea had spent the night violently lecturing everyone about the importance of staying in pairs when the camp is under attack. 

"This was entirely preventable and not a single one of you had the sense to lookout for her" His voice echoed. 

The front of the tent opened and a figure slipped in. You could hear the voices but could barely open your eyes. 

"It isn't good, she has a fever, which means infection" Grimshaw's hushed voice spoke. 

You opened your bleary eyes to face the two people, your felt your heart sigh contently when you focused on Eagle Flies. 

"Hi my love" He said quietly as he came closer to you. 

"Hey", your voice was was barely a whisper. 

He looked over your body, and felt his stomach churn uneasily. Your skin was pale and clammy, but your face was a feverish red. He placed the back of his hand against your forehead. When your eyes fluttered back shut, Eagle Flies turned to Grimshaw. 

"Do we know if she'll make it?" He said, holding back tears. 

Grimshaw placed a hand on his shoulder, "She's a fighter, son, but there is no way we can know for sure. I'll give you two some space, yell if you need me.".

He nodded and focused his eyes back to you as Grimshaw exited. His hand snaked into yours,

"Can you hear me, Y/n?" 

You nodded your head, which made you feel like you were suddenly spinning. 

"I need you to get though this, okay? I need you to fight hard and be okay. Because I need you and this group needs you." There were tears in his voice but you couldn't see them. 

You squeezed his hand, feeling him hunch forward and rest his head near you. He was sobbing, which made everything feel unbearably real to your unstable state. 

"I'm scared" you cried quietly. 

"Me too, but it's going to be okay" 

-

The day moved along in a flurry of people trying desperately to keep you alive. Figures moved in and out, trying to keep you hydrated and your wound clean. In the haze of people and various healing attempts there was one constance. Eagle Flies stayed posted by your side through everything. 

By nightfall you were able to keep your eyes open for extended periods of time. It was a big enough glimmer of hope for the camp that people were able to relax a little. 

-

A few days later, your fever had died down and you were able to sit up. People were still cautious, but the worst of it seemed to have passed. 

You closed the book you had been reading and looked over at Eagle Flies, his eyes were shadowed deeply by dark circles. He hadn't slept or eaten the whole time. 

"Hey.. I'm okay, you need to get some sleep" You said softly. He nodded tiredly and leaned forward to kiss you. 

"I'm glad you're doing better" He whispered.