Chapter 10: true colours

Oscar, who had Ozpin controlling him, was sitting with Qrow in the living room. Qrow took a sip from his mug.

"Thing's aren't looking good, Oz" He informed, worry washing over him like the sea going over sand.

"Ever the optimist" Ozpin chuckled, taking a sip from his mug. "While I would not say our current predicament is... ideal, I think we can both agree that the situation could be much worse. Humanity is a resilient force"

"Oz..." Qrow trailed off. "Pro huntsmen like that don't just bite it all at once. Salem's powerful. And it seems like her reach growing by the day. What does that say about humanity?"

"That there are indeed a misguided few who have filled their hearts with malice" Ozpin answered. "It doesn't take a great number of people to cause harm. But I still believe there are far more people in this world willing to prevent it"

"Um...excuse me?" Ruby was then heard walking up to the two.

"Ah, Miss Rose. Join us" Ozpin smiled. "We were just about to gather everyone to talk about our next steps"

"Oh, uh, great" Ruby nodded, joining Qrow and Ozpin.

"Something on your mind, kiddo?" Qrow asked, he knew his niece's behaviour like she was his own daughter.

"Well, it's... if it's okay to ask" Ruby requested.

"Of course" Qrow nodded.

"We've been talking about the Relic at Haven... and the Spring Maiden, But... what about the Fall Maiden?" Ruby asked.

"Cinder" Ozpin specified.

"Does that mean... Salem has the Beacon relic?" Ruby questioned. Ozpin and Qrow exchanged a glance with each other.

"Very astute, Miss Rose. I was wondering who would be the first to ask" Ozpin smiled. "No. Thankfully, she does not. It's true that the Relic and Have is very much at risk, and for now, that should remain our primary focus. Let's just say I made finding the Relic at Beacon a... bit more challenging than at other schools"

"Well, that's good to hear" Ruby nodded.

"It is" Ozpin agreed. "But let's not forget the challenges that still lie before us"

Ruby nodded in understanding the situation, before Ozpin asked...

"Now, is there anything else we can help you with?"

"Well...uh, I did have two more questions..." Ruby answered.

"The answer to your first one: No. my cane is not a relic" Ozpin said.

"Okay, skip question one" Ruby jokes, making everyone laugh a bit.

"Yes, while this cane is indeed very precious to me, it is just that - precious to me" Ozpin began. "While I admit it still has a few more tricks up its sleeve, I can firmly say that being a relic isn't one of them. Now, your second question?"

"I..um...well..." Ruby's face dropped when she tried the ask her second question.

"It's about Amity, isn't it?" Qrow guessed.

"Yeah. His sickness is getting worse" Ruby answered.

"I am dreadfully sorry, Miss Rose" Ozpin sighed. "Mr Millinike's sickness cannot be relieved, and I too am really sad to know that he will be passing soon. But when he does, make sure to know that he would want you to keep fighting"

Ruby then sat on the couch and started to draw tears.

"I don't want him to die" She sniffed. "He... he... I just wish there was something that we could do for him... anything. I just don't want him to leave us"