Chapter Forty: Something Important

Start from the beginning

Loki gave a slight bow of acknowledgement. "I suppose you are right," he agreed with a hint of reluctance. "Please do let me know if you change your mind though." He then glanced towards Hiro's room. "Or if anything else occurs."

Cass promised, hoping he didn't expect her to walk him to the door. She wasn't sure she could make it the way her knees were throbbing. Part of her wondered how Hiro had managed with that one bruise she'd later learned came from a ricocheted bullet. Well, she was a tough cookie too and would deal.

The god of mischief took her hand in his and gently pressed his lips to the back of it. "I'm only a few floors away," he reminded as he released her fingers from his. Almost reluctantly, it seemed, he turned and left the room.

Cass let out a bit of a sigh as the door closed. She quickly gathered her wits and reached for the bottle of pain medicine, having to squirm a bit to reach it on the nightstand. But she managed and quickly downed the recommended dose. She then turned off the lights with the convenient switch just to the side of her headboard, kicking off her shoes. It would be too much of a hassle to bother changing into pajamas, but she wasn't going to sleep in sneakers.

Settled for the night, she pulled one of the pillows into her arms, hugging it to her body. A slight thrill ran the length of her body when she thought of Loki, but she calmed herself and closed her eyes. After such an eventful day, and with the help of the medicine, she soon drifted off to sleep.

.................................

Despite the late hour, Ella Lopez continued to work in her lab. She'd gone over the metal samples Chloe and Lucifer had brought in, poured over the bomb diagrams, and triple-checked everything Jack had asked her about. And yet, she still felt like she was missing something.

She looked over the evidence piling up on her desk, still in neat areas to keep any cross contamination at bay, but still very much accumulating in vast quantities. At least she hadn't left the bomb fragments out, sending those back to the bomb squad since they'd said they weren't quite finished with them yet.

Ella slowly walked around the central table, one hand to her chin as she contemplated each piece of evidence they'd collected so far. "Done. Done. Done," she said to herself as she mentally pointed at various articles. And then the silver length of pipe attached to the dart gun winked at her and she paused. She tilted her head to one side as her other hand slowly reached for the item in question. "I don't think I'm quite done with you though."

Carefully, hands still gloved from previous projects, she picked up the dart gun, barrel and all, and moved towards a separate station. She unscrewed the added length and began dismantling the whole thing. If her gut was right, there was something important in that whole contraption she'd missed and she wouldn't allow herself to stop for the night until she figured out what it was.

......................................

Wasabi groaned as he returned to consciousness. It certainly wasn't sporting or fair for that nurse to sedate him. There probably had been a good reason for it, but at least there shouldn't be a repeat of the incident. At least not for a while. The main reason being that Dirk Gently was nowhere to be seen in the room. In fact, he thought it might be night time instead of daytime.

He tried to sit up in an effort to get a better view of the clock across the room. The fact that it was in shadow didn't help, but he realized the digital numbers weren't much help in giving him the actual part of the day, just a general time. They weren't using military time, unless he was in the wee hours of the morning instead of early afternoon. Well, it was what it was, he supposed.

Aftermath (a BH6 crossover)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara