17

Unfortunately, our party night ended and we were pulled back to reality in the morning. A harsh reality.

I woke up to screaming again.

I shot up from the ground and fell back onto Chris who had sat up moments before me. Greta was the one screaming this time, and I felt like that meant it was serious. Jonah stood up and saw something, he then fell back onto the truck’s interior and scrunched up his face. I rubbed my eyes, still in a sleepy state, and blinked. My eyes landed where everybody was looking.

I gasped, and stiffened.

There was a dead body in the truck.

The neck was sliced open, dried blood surrounding them. So much blood, everywhere. They were pale, lips blue. They must have been gone for a while. The worst part was that their eyes were wide open, like they had glimpsed their killer before dying. No zombie had done this, one of our own had committed the crime.

“Who did it?” I asked in a whisper, my eyes locked on the body.  I was filled with anger. The undead where killing enough of the human race without us turning on each other.

“What?” Jonah asked. I didn’t know if he just hadn’t heard me or was just denying the inevitable truth, I didn’t care at that point.

WHO DID IT?” I screamed at everyone. They all jumped, as if they were taken aback by my sudden outburst. Why should they be jumping at me when one of us is the murderer?

“Maybe it was a zombie?” Lacey suggested naively, clinging onto Ryder like a child.

“A zombie wouldn’t come in, slit one throat and just leave. Get real, Lace,” West seethed, his eyes drowned in bags. He had slept the least out of us.

“Don’t talk to her like that, she was just hoping none of us did it, West,” Ryder stepped forward, eyeing down West.

“Oh, you think I did it? Accusing your friends now?” West said, he to stepped forward. West looked down at Ryder while Ryder puffed his chest out like he’s never lost a war. He shoved West, which resulted in a punch being thrown. The two of them began scuffling, until Jonah stepped in towering over both of them and grabbed each of them in a headlock.

“Fighting isn’t helping anyone! Sort out your relationship problems after we figure out what’s gone on here!” Jonah said, pushing both boys away. They knocked heads and smacked into the wall.

Chris was staying dead silent, and for a moment I questioned that he was the killer. While we all slept he crept up and silently murdered in cold blood. Always the one you least suspect. I prayed that he didn’t do it. Chris one of the only things that is holding together my sanity, and I can’t lose my sanity.

I stood up, still sleepy but rage-filled, and walked towards the body. Everybody had moved away from it, repulsed. I bent down and grasped the cold stiff hand. I held it tight and caressed it carefully. Everyone became disgusted automatically because oh shit it’s a dead body, but nobody had remembered that just last night this corpse was alive and breathing. A human, not a zombie. I felt the most responsible after the killer for the death. If it wasn’t for me, George wouldn’t have been attacked by that zombie and had his throat cut a first time. Everything is my fault in the apocalypse, you might as well say I was the one who brought on the disease.

“That’s gross, he’s dead you know,” Victoria said.

“I know he’s dead, I’m paying my respects to him,” I said through my gritted teeth. I didn’t even bother to look up at her. I stayed like that for a few moments before I closed his eyes and stood up. I was now facing Victoria.