Perfect: Part One

Alex's PoV (Alex is female in this scene)

This takes place after SOTD, but I re-imagined the ending of the book a little, just to fit the plot.

A gentle humming noise echoed throughout my hotel room as my pottery wheel spun, and the sound soothed me. I always felt better when I could focus on nothing but the shape of the clay in my hands. I had complete control.

But it couldn't take my mind off the events of the last few days. We had almost died dozens of times, and I had been more afraid than I had let on. I didn't like to talk about fear. I'm supposed to be strong.

I'm never going to tell anyone how terrifying the trip was for me. Naturally, after the voyage across the nine worlds, it was hard to wind down and settle into a comfortable rhythm again. And then, of course, there was Magnus. A lot had happened between us on the trip. A lot.

I was glad to have paired up with Magnus in Niflheim, because the only reason I made it across was the kiss in the middle. In a moment of panic, afraid we would die and he would never know how I felt about him, I kissed him.

Doing that was more dangerous than anything we had faced on the voyage so far, because I was risking our friendship. But it felt so perfect, and it filled me with warmth and kept me trudging on, clinging to Magnus like an over sized teddy bear. 

He was the reason I was alive today. And later, when Magnus was battling Loki, he let on just how much he had enjoyed the kiss. He had wanted to kiss me. No, he had said it was the "best thing that had ever happened to him." Not gonna lie, I wanted to kiss him again when he said that.

But the worst part of all this? We were still just friends. We never even really talked about it. Since returning to Valhalla not even three days ago, we just went about life as we had before, before... everything. I guess it was because I was afraid to tell him how I felt, afraid to put it into words and make it too real.

But there was also big part of me that really wanted to tell him. I always felt like being with Magnus took away the pressure to be fearless. I could be vulnerable around him, because he understood. I kind of hated to admit it, but he knew me better than anyone, and I liked him better than anyone. 

I really didn't know what to do. All I knew was that I really wanted to talk to Magnus. So I did something stupid. Well, I thought it was stupid, at least. But I still did it. I washed the clay off of my hands, crossed the hall, and knocked on Magnus's door.

After a hushed, "shut UP, Jack," he opened the door and leaned against the frame. "What's up, Alex?" Magnus asked, looking a little flustered. I was terrified to say what I was about to say, but I didn't let it show. Not yet. 

"Wanna come watch a movie with me tonight?"

"A movie?"

"You heard me. Does 7:00 work?"

"um...yes?"

His cheeks were the color of a strawberry. I hoped I wasn't blushing too.

"Great! So, wear pajamas or something comfy, I'll get the snacks and stuff, and you get to let me pick the movie."

 I didn't wait for him to respond. I gave his ponytail a playful tug and turned on my heel, trying not to scramble back into my room. I closed the door behind me. My heartbeat slowed, and I realized I'd been holding my breath. I sighed heavily, sinking to the floor.

"Maybe this is finally happening."

Here is the re-written first chapter! I hope you guys like it, I had so much fun writing it. I've really missed fierrochase. Haven't written about them in a long time :(

I also want to mention that I've decided to completely remove my four-part oneshot, "The sweatshirt." It was just such a mess. Riddled with plotholes. Not to mention these are supposed to be oneshots, not 'four-shots.' If any of you are particularly attached to that writing and would like me to edit and re-publish it, I'd be happy to do so! But for now I'm just getting it out of the way.