Lilian was confused by his statement. "Father, I'm confused. I thought only good men came to these parties, so why invite the wrong ones?"

"I have men here tonight who are here to make deals with me, the mayor and other associates. They're nothing but a group of inconveniences it will be sorted though, just be careful who you talk with that's all." Lilian didn't question her fathers ways as it would only make him angry and make him feel as if she thought wrong of him. "Ah well nothing for you to be bothering your pretty little head of yours about." He finished his glass of whisky and placed it down on his desk, removing himself from his chair and offering Lilian his hand which she took. They both stood up and he placed a light kiss on her forehead before leaving the room.

Lilian stayed in the study for a few moments to collect her thoughts, watching from the windows the many extravagant bodies arrive. Her eyes looked over to the large portrait of the family above the fireplace. Her young mother and father, surrounded by their four children. Only two of her brothers lived with her at the moment as the other two had already married and started a family of their own. The other two brothers were courting but they obviously had longer and more choice on who they married unlike Lilian.

                                       ♡

The large garden was beautifully lit by the summer sun, filled with various flowers, shrubs and trees. White cloth tables were spread out over the freshly cut grass with various pastries and drinks for the guests. She made her way to the entrance of the back doors to the garden and stopped as soon as she reached the top of the garden steps. She looked around for anyone she knew so she didnt have to to bumble about lonely. Tucking her blonde hair behind her ears, she made her way slowly down the steps, trying her best not to trip over her dress as she licked it up from her feet.

She felt as if all eyes were on her or either she was just paranoid about the amount of people here. Her eyes wandered over to a rather sheepish looking group of men who all had their eyes fixated on her with every movement she took. She saw them exchange conversation as they watched her, but she turned away as soon as she had a hand placed around her wrist. She looked up to see her mother, grinning at her with glass of wine in her hand. "Oh Lilian you do look beautiful. But those sleeves, darlin." She said through a tight smile. Lilian didn't change them, just rolled her eyes and took a glass of wine off one of the passing servants. "Not too much of that tonight." Her mother warned but soon changed her tone as soon as she spotted someone. "Ah, Lilian! Come along, I want you to meet someone!"

Lilian followed her mother over to a large group of people, the closer she got the more she figured were the Braithwaites. She let out a small sigh before pulling her lips into a tight friendly smile. "Everyone, you remember my dear daughter. This is Lilian." She bowed her head a little and glanced over each one of them. The three sons, Gareth, Gerald and Bartholomew just staring at anything but her face.  She was more wary about her acquaintance with Catherine Braithwaite.

"Of course! Don't be silly, Marian. How could I forget the girl who is betrothed to one of my lovely boys." Lilian's eyes widened slightly and she coughed from nearly choking on her wine.

Lilian's mother scowls slightly and puts a hand on her daughters back. "You okay?.."

Lilian nods quickly and stands up straight, smiling again, this one more pained. She didn't want to talk to her mother about the situation yet as she didn't want to cause a scene. "It's lovely to see you again, Miss Braithwaite." She was sad that Catherine's niece, Penelope was not attending this time as she was a close friend of hers.

Catherine had a mean look to her, her smile always crooked like she always was planning something malicious. "My dear, have you chosen who you like? Or would you like to get better aquatinted?" Lilian looks to her mother with a slight scowl who has an unsure look on her face. Lilian downs the rest of her glass before picking her dress up from the floor. "Now now Lilian, can't wait forever, can we? Soon that lovely body won't be fit at all to bare children"

The conversation infuriated Lilian more until she couldn't take anymore of Catherine's boring and rather rude comments. "Please do excuse me, I have to go regurgitate. I'll see you around shortly." Lilian's mother gasped as well as making Catherine and her sons rather stunned at her sudden abrupt leave. The wine and the talk of birthing Braithwaite babies had caused Lilian to become quite nauseous but because of her naiveness, she grabs another glass of wine off of a servants tray and makes her way to a quieter place of the garden, saying a few hundred 'hellos' to each party attender who greeted her. She ignored as many single men who wanted conversation as she could before finding herself near the stream that divides her house's land and the farming fields.

A heavy sigh left her lips before taking a sip from her glass of red wine. She looked up to the dying sun as it faded away, leaving a trail of blended colours as it faded into night. Lost in her own world, she thought she had escaped the unwanted attention until she heard nattering behind a couple of old chestnut trees at the end of the garden.

She was intrigued to find out what was going on over there, feeling inclined to question those who would be escaping the party or trying to break in. She held her glass tight in her hand and lightly ran on the balls of her feet near the tree leaves, enough to cover herself so she couldn't listen in on the conversation.

"Why are we actually here, Dutch? The old guy is a fool, he doesn't want anythin' to do with our deal. He couldn't care less." Lilian listens in to their voices, her mind wondering if they were talking about her father.

"I know, boys. We will talk with him soon, he's too busy getting drunk with others and selling off that damn daughter of his. If he does double cross us then we will make sure he wish he really didn't." Lilian didn't like the bad talking about her father and with wine kicking in, she grew the confidence to show herself to the misfits.

Hey lovelies hope you enjoyed the first chapter! Chapter two will be up very soon!!

Lonesome | Arthur Morgan On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara