Archive Log: 52

"Do you think it hurt?" David stopped walking away from the temple, which was their newly adopted home. He turned slowly on the beige stone walkway and looked back at Minerva. She had come down the steps, only to crouch and look over a cluster of Engineers nearby. All around them the black encased forms were scattered about, but all rather tightly situated. It was clear their last moments were panicked, quick, and fleeting. When all else failed, what else was there to do other than cling to one another?

David looked slowly upwards, his eyes scanned the building behind her before looking to the clouds. Grey, but with white clouds slowly drifting past, the sun was bleakly shining, and a light breeze was around. Brushing his hair back, he turned and looked at her fully. "Does it matter?" He for one hadn't dwelt too much on it, whatever lingering apathy he had for the mass destruction was quickly gone now.

Minerva lifted up a hand from her knee, still crouching and looking forwards she placed her hand against the head of a small figure. The black liquid had frozen this child's last moments, and the sheer look of terror which was etched on its face. Minerva tilted her head, "It looked like it hurt." She replied to her own question, not liking David's answer. Answering a question with another always peeved her off. Was it so hard to answer honestly? Apparently yes. Or at least it was to David, but then nothing was simple with that man. Her blue eyes trailed up the pair of arms which clung around the small child, Minerva looked to the parent, it was hard to tell what genders these forms were anymore. They all looked the same to her now.

"Their DNA would've been broken down, destroyed. Do you think that sounds pleasant?" David questioned blandly, and a bit sarcastically. He frowned at her, she had been all up for coming outside and further exploring, hoping to find somewhere to swim. Only now...she was depressing herself, he could see that. But along with that, she was annoying him.

Minerva sighed, she shook her head and looked sidelong at him. "It would've been quick though."

"Does it matter?" David frowned deeply, his eyes narrowing as his hands fisted by his sides. "Let's go, now before we lose the light. We don't know the time scales of the days yet." Which was true, but also he didn't like where her words and clear thoughts were going. She seemed to be empathising. David turned on his heels, with empathy came regret, deep thinking; it was clearly one thing, but now being surrounded by all of this, and forever more was sinking in for Minerva.

Minerva looked back at the child, frowning softly at the open mouth and the eyes blankly, and blackly staring upwards at the parent. Hands clung on, both ways as both clearly realised there was no escaping this fate. Inhaling deeply, she patted her knees and stood. She glanced at the child one last time before looking back to David. He had continued walking, regardless of her not following. He seemed quite content to walk and look around at his handiwork. Minerva tilted her head, she had always suspected there wasn't something quite right with David, being surrounded by all this death would affect anyone. Clearly not the one who pulled the trigger.

Minerva picked up walking, she ignored the traumatised frozen faces around her and just looked at the blonde before her. She frowned, even the worse human reacted to doing something bad, right? She scratched her chin in thought, she had been fine with this whole thing...until seeing that child. Children were innocent, they didn't know the world; the evil within it, or the seriousness that came from life. She felt bad. That was putting it lightly. She couldn't have stopped David. And she was more than happy to help him with his schemes, but...there was something lingering, and she couldn't put her finger on it.

She could see she had annoyed him. Pushing thoughts from her mind, she picked up running and jumped. David startled forwards a bit but reached around, he hooked his hands under her thighs and hauled her up onto his back properly. Minerva giggled, she nestled against his neck, even kissing him gently. "I'm sorry I annoyed you, David." She apologised softly, she leaned her chin against his shoulder. Even from there she saw his eyes flick to the side to look at her. "I just don't like the thought of anyone suffering, that is all. Even these lot," she nodded at the blackened bodies which were bordering the pathway which he walked along. What she said was true, she didn't like to think of anyone suffering, especially children.