*** Epilogue ***

***** A month later *****

We're hiking through the mountains of Colorado deep inside the forest. Hailey's had contact with her mom and has given us somewhere safe to go. "Are we there yet?" Megan asks.

"Almost. I think it's around the next bend," I answer as Sarah and I lead the way.

"I hope so. My feet are killing me," Megan complains.

"Sis stop gripping. After what we've been through this is nothing," Max adds.

As we walk I give Sarah a hug, and think how I almost lost her, twice. Jessica sacrificed her life so we could be together. That's something none of us will forget. I sacrificed something as well. When the portal closed my abilities didn't return. But it's a small price to pay to have the one I Love by my side.

"Hey Kyle," Max shouts.

"Yeah."

"How mad do you think Keller and the others were when they snapped out of it and we were gone?"

I can't help but laugh. "Very, but knowing them like I do I know they're still looking for us."

We round the bend and everyone gasps. Deep inside the mountains stands a two story house. But not just any house, it's the Blackwell house from Loretto, and standing on the front porch holding hands is Anna and Joseph.

"I don't believe it," Logan says with wonder.

Hailey smiles, "Well I do." Everyone turns to her. "Remember, my mom's a witch."

Everyone laughs and we continue inside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Later that night Sarah and I are sitting on the porch alone.  She has her head on my shoulder and her arm around me.  I'm just staring at the ground; my mind, still in Texas.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Her voice brings me back to reality. "You haven't been acting right since you lost your powers."

"I would willingly give up anything, for you." We look into each other's eyes and share a kiss.

"I'm getting cold. Let's go inside."

"I'll be along in a few minutes."

"Alright, but don't be long." She gets up and goes upstairs to our room.

My thoughts drift again to everything that's happened. After the day of the battle my world changed. I'm thankful to have the one I love and my friends here with me safe from The Special Unit, but at the same time, I feel so different. Without my gifts I feel useless. I guess what bothers me most is I can't protect Sarah anymore.

Caitlin's gone back with Maxwell's group so Beth and Karen can help her. I hear she's doing better. Everything that's happened has really messed with her mind. I just hope she can find peace one day. Peace of mind. I guess that's something that neither of us will have for a long time.

Lost in my thoughts and self pity I'm startled. "Hello Kyle." Turning around I find someone sitting in the swing.  Getting up quickly I get ready to fight, but then I remember how helpless I am.

"Who are you?"

"Easy Kyle," the figure gets up out of the swing; a slight glow surrounds her. "You know who I am."

"Jessica?  Is that really you?" 

"In the flesh. Well, not really." I can't believe it.  I'm talking to the spirit of the girl who saved Sarah.

"I don't know how this is possible, but I'm glad you're here.  I want to thank you for what you did."

"It really wasn't much of a sacrifice.  My brother was the only family I had left."

"We could've been your family." 

"I know.  I realized that the day of the battle.  That's why I took Sarah's place."

She steps up to me. "I've brought you," she holds her hand out, "a gift."  In her hand is the blue crystal and necklace.

"Take it.  What lies within belongs to you." My fingers pass through her hand as I retrieve the crystal and instantly I feel a rush of power flowing through me. When it stops I stagger backwoods a little.

Jessica laughs, "Go ahead. Try it out."

Turning around I see a large bolder half buried in the ground.  Reaching out my hand it lifts easily out of the ground and hovers.

"I can't believe it. " My excitement overwhelms me and I drop it. The impact shakes the ground and sounds like an explosion.

"Easy Kyle."

I turn to her. "I," my voice cracks. "I don't know how to thank you."

"Hey, I'm just the messenger."

Now I'm confused. "The Elders?"

She nods as everyone rushes out of the house and gasps at seeing our friend as a spirit.

"Jessica?" Megan asks and rushes toward us with everyone else close behind. She reaches out trying to hug her and her arms pass through our friend. She steps back a little as her tears fall.

"Don't be sad. I did what I had to do," Jessica says as everyone looks on in disbelief.

"I would love to stay longer but my time is short." She turns to me. "To answer your question Kyle yes, it was the Elders, or at least some of them."

My smile begins to fade; I know something's wrong.

She turns to everyone. "There's a war brewing like no other.  A spiritual war.  What all of you have just experienced was only a taste of what's to come."

Everyone has a blank stare as she turns back to me.

"And I'm here on behalf of the Elders, to ask for your help."

I hope that you've enjoyed the series and this story. This one was more challenging than the others. By combining stories it was challenging to keep with all the different characters, keeping their personalities separate and the story flowing like I wanted.

My thanks to everyone. I appreciate each and every one of you.

Wayne...