Chapter Twelve: The Crystal's Power

*** Federal Special Unit Facility Elkhart, Indiana ***

Megan and Logan arrive to find a thick metal door that's locked.

She slams her fist against it, "No! Jessica, can you hear me?"

Everyone else arrives and Megan turns to Max, "It's locked."

"You two stand back," he says and using his thoughts blows the door off it's hinges. Everyone rushes toward Jessica and as they get there Megan falls to her knees.

"Hey, can you hear me?" She opens her eyes slightly and grins.

"It's about time you got here," she says as her voice cracks.

Megan laughs through her tears as she helps her to sit up.

Max turns and notices Hailey staring into space. "Hey, what is it?"

She turns to him without blinking. "The bubble of time; it's shrinking faster than I expected," She closes her eyes and concentrates. "I'm sorry. I can't stop it. I'm using all my power just to keep it slowed down."

"How long do we have?"

Hailey looks toward the wall and so does everyone else. A shimmering veil resembling a pool of water enters the room and as it passes Aiden he looks around, and turns toward them.

"Logan, you and Megan get Jessica out of here, and take Hailey with you."

"You got it Max," he answers as they help her up.

"I'm not leaving you," Hailey pleads.

"Listen. You're using everything you have already. Go with them and I'll be right behind you."

"I can't!" She says as her tears fall.

"Sarah!" She turns to Max. "Use your gift and lead the way."

As Logan and Megan carry Jessica toward the door, Sarah grabs Hailey's arm. "Come on. He'll be fine." Hailey hesitates. "Let's go!" Sarah shouts.

"I love you... Always," Max says and turns to face Aiden.

Sarah arrives at the door, with Hailey in tow, where the others are waiting and closes her eyes for a few seconds. "This way, and we've got to hurry."

Max watches them go through the door, and as he turns around he's startled. Aiden is now face to face with him...

*** Just outside the building ***

A door opens and Sarah leads them to a Special Unit SUV and opens the door. "Get her inside. Hurry!" After getting Jessica in the back seat Logan and Megan jump in as well. Sarah starts it up and as Hailey gets in an agent steps out and fires his automatic rifle. Sarah floors it as the rounds are deflected by the SUV's armor.

She heads for the now closed gate as two more agents open fire. "Hailey, I could use some help."

"I'm sorry..." She let's the bubble collapse, throws out her hand and screams in anger releasing all the energy she has left. The two agents are thrown off to the side and the gate is ripped open by the surge of power. After Sarah turns onto the road and the SUV is out of sight, Megan leans up to find Hailey passed out.

She leans back, closes her eyes, and tries to reach her Brother telepathically.

"Max... Please... Answer me..."

*** Back Inside the Training Room ***

Max and Aiden stare at each other...

"Aiden, listen to me. Your Sister is safe, and I'm not your enemy. Come with me so we can get out of here."