Chapter Two: Actions and Consequences

*** The Blackwell house ***

"How do we know that we can trust you?" Megan asks.

"At this point I can't prove anything. But we weren't the ones trying to arrest you just for having gifts," I reply.

"Alright, let's say for the moment I believe you. How do we get these people off our backs?" Max asks.

"You don't. Once the Special Unit finds out about you they won't stop until you're in a cage, or dead."

Sarah turns to Hailey, "I know you're powerful, but how long can you keep time standing still? As soon as you release it those agents will be coming, and they'll use anything or anyone against you."

"Oh as I'm sure you know by now, we can handle them," Max responds.

"Yeah I know the three of you are very powerful, but Agent White was right about one thing. You have no idea who you're dealing with. How many agents are you willing to kill before you're overwhelmed? A hundred, five hundred?"

As they glance at one another Max's resolve begins to fade a little.

"Believe me Max," I glance at Sarah. "Once you're forced down that road. You'll carry it with you forever."

They continue looking at me for a moment, but no one says anything.

Finally Max glances at the others, and turns back to me. "Alright, So what's the plan."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*** A Couple Hours Later ***

They've finally managed to pack a few things and we've made it to the old barn. That is except for Megan and Logan. They've headed to his house to grab his clothes. Hailey's power has faded so time has returned to normal. I have to admit that's something I never thought was possible. As I turn around Sarah comes out of her vision and tells me the agents are confused and still trying to figure out what happened.

So far, we're safe, and we do need to move. But saying goodbye to the only life you've ever known is hard to do.

"Max, please!" Hailey pleads. "I've got to see my parents before we go. I can't just leave like this."

"I'm sorry. But those agents will be swarming the area and I know they're probably already at your house," Max says gently as he holds her.

"Hailey."

She turns toward a woman standing at the door. "Mom!" She shouts and runs into her arms.

Sarah and I walk up beside Max. "How did she get past all those men?" I ask.

"It's simple really," He turns to me and smiles. "She's a witch."

"Oh. Okay." We turn back to them and as they walk toward us she snaps her fingers and two torches light.

"Hailey, introduce me to your new friends."

"This is Kyle and Sarah. They helped rescue us from those men."

As our eyes meet her smile fades. "You seem familiar to me somehow. Have we already met?"

"No, I don't think so. But you may have sensed Sarah watching you over the past couple weeks. She's a watcher. She has the ability to see what's happening once she zeros in on someone. Our people saw the video from the High School and she did the rest."

"Well, thanks for what you've done."

"I've never met a real witch before," Sarah says. "To be honest, I didn't know they actually existed."