Chapter Five: Alliance and Defiance

*** Outside of Warren, Arkansas... Maxwell's Camp ***

As I sit across from Max and Hailey, I simply can't believe what she's just confessed.

"No... You must be mistaken somehow," I say.

"Kyle, I'm afraid it's true.  I have another gift I seldom use.  The first time was with Hailey's Mom and she shared memories of William and herself.  These Agents of yours were after him back then as well.  I even saw Rachel in the hospital after giving birth," Max turns to Hailey. "You were as beautiful then as you are now."  She puts her head on his shoulder and smiles a little as he turns back to me.

"He came to the hospital room to try and take Hailey away, but Rachel summoned enough power to stop him and escaped with her.  She's been hiding her from him ever since."

Everyone remains silent for a few moments to let this sink in. 

"Well, this explains why the three of you are so powerful, at least partially.  Tell me, are you telekinetic as well?" Maxwell asks.

Hailey looks down at a glass and it rises into the air...  As she sits it back down our eyes meet.

"So... I guess I need to say, welcome to the family..."

She stands, walks around the table, and we share a hug.  Looking over at Max I can see suspicion in his eyes, but for now at least, he remains silent.

*** Later That Evening ***

Everyone's had some time to think about and try to accept everything that's happened.  Hailey and I have talked a little and I've learned she doesn't blame me for our Father's death.  She was just overwhelmed by the way she found out.  If I'd known... She wouldn't have found out like that.

I've managed to slip away and walked down to the creek.  It's peaceful here and usually, at least for a little while, I can relax and clear my mind.  But today, I'm finding little comfort.  What I've learned in the past few hours has reinforced what I know about my Father.  I've also found out I have a half-Sister I never knew about and another that's lost her way... and somehow, I have to stop her.  I'm just worried that there may be only one way to do that...

"Kyle," I'm startled and turn to see Max walking toward me.

"Hailey told me the two of you had a chat."

"Yeah, we did," I pause for a moment. "I'm sorry for the way she found out about William."

"I figured as much.  I wish I hadn't lost my cool and thrown you across the room."

I laugh a little, "It's not the first time I've been knocked around.  Don't worry about it.  Besides, if I'd been ready, it might not have been so easy."

He smiles, "Maybe, but I doubt it.  I haven't met to many people that's put me on the ground." 

"Well, let's hope we never have to find out."

"But I'd love for you to try it again," I think...

We stand silently for a moment facing the bluff as the water gently flows by.

"I've talked to everyone, and we've decided to help you with Caitlin," He turns toward me. "So for now, we're on your side." 

As I turn to face him we're standing only a few feet apart.

"After saving you from those Agents, you still don't trust me do you?"

"To be truthful... I do, but only to an extent.  It seems to me that your family has some bad blood."