Chapter Eight: Decisions

*** Outside of Warren, Arkansas... Maxwell's Camp Down by the Creek ***

Sarah and I stare at the two little spirits as they walk past Max,Megan, and Hailey and continue toward us.

"Kyle..." Sarah's voice quivers with fear as she squeezes my hand.

"Stay calm.  I don't think they're here to hurt us."

They stop before us, Joseph in front of Sarah, and Anna in front of me.

Anna reaches out her hand, palm up, toward me as Joseph does the same toward Sarah.

Glancing toward Max I see him nod and I turn to Sarah.

"I love you..." I say and she squeezes my hand tighter. We both look down at the spirits... and take their hands.

Suddenly a whirlwind surrounds us and as I look up I see a portal open. Blue light shines down and I have to look away... Holding Sarah as tight as I can she screams just as a clap of thunder fills the air...

*** Somewhere ***

I find myself standing in the middle of several destroyed buildings. Fire and smoke is everywhere and it looks like a vision from hell. But the worst part is... I'm alone...

"Sarah?  Sarah where are you?"

"Kyle... please..."  I follow her voice through the smoke and flames until I see her.  She's on the ground leaning against what's left of a wall.  Rushing over to her I fall to my knees, and take her in my arms.  There's blood dripping from her mouth and burn marks on her body.

"Sarah! Oh my God No!"

"It's okay.  The Elders said it was meant to be," She tries to smile as a tear falls. "Remember, I love you... Always..."

Her beautiful blue eyes fade to black as her life slips away...

Hearing laughter, I turn to see Caitlin.  After gently laying Sarah's body down, I stand and face her.

"If you hadn't brought her here, I wouldn't have had to kill her," She smiles. "She's dead... because of you."

*** Maxwell's camp... Four Hours Later ***

Everyone from camp is standing on the small hill above the creek.

"Are you sure about this?" Maxwell asks.

"Trust me," Hailey says and smiles as Max looks at his watch.

"It's time..."

The wind begins to pick up as a portal opens. "Oh My God!" Maxwell says trying to comprehend what he's witnessing. After a moment a blinding flash of light forces everyone to turn away followed by a massive clap of thunder.  Opening their eyes they find Sarah and I are lying on the ground.

"See, I told you," Hailey smiles and as they glance at each other, Karen and the others rush down to us.

*** Maxwell's Camp an Hour Later ***

Waking up I find myself sitting up in bed covered in sweat screaming Sarah's name.   I startle Karen and she rushes over to me.

"Kyle. It's alright. You're safe." Hearing her voice calms me down a little.

"Thank God." I turn to my right and see Maxwell standing by my bed. "I thought we'd lost you."

"Sarah! Where's Sarah?" I shout.

"I'm over here."  Karen steps out of the way to reveal Sarah lying next to me smiling. "Welcome back..."

Seeing her and hearing her voice releases the pain in my chest and in my weakened condition I fall back onto my pillow.  As I stare at her, the memory of what I've been through quickly fades away.