Chapter Three: The Truth...

*** Blackwell Farm ***

We stand ready facing the doors.  I've had plenty of encounters with the Special Unit, but nothing like this.

"How long Sarah?" I ask.

"One minute," she responds as Rachel suddenly steps in front of us.

"I can't let this happen.  Get up into the loft. Quickly!" She says pointing to a ladder.

"Mom, what are you doing? You can't stop them!"

"This isn't your destiny. Now follow the others and trust me."

Everyone else has climbed the ladder except for Hailey and Max. He takes her hand and they levitate up into the loft.

As we look down Rachel faces the doors, holds her hands up, and begins to chant.

"By the power of three times three... make them see make them see.  By the power of three times three... make them see make them see."

She repeats it once more, lowers her arms and walks over to the other wall in the barn. She looks up at us, smiles and holds her finger to her lips as the torches extinguish.

Suddenly five heavily armed men rush into the barn and as they look around one points his weapon at Rachel. Max puts his hand over Hailey's mouth just before she tries to scream. The agent steps toward her, and then turns sweeping his light and weapon across the wall. The other men do the same thing pointing up toward the loft.

"Team One, do you have contact?"

One of them keys his mike, "Stand by." He motions for two of his men to climb the ladders. We quietly step back as they reach the top. Using the light on their weapons they sweep the area. After a few seconds the men climb back down.

"Team One to control. Negative contact in the barn."

"Acknowledged. Team Two report."

Rachel closes her eyes and begins to whisper something.

"Team Two, I need a report!"  Suddenly we hear automatic weapons firing.

"This is Team Two. We've made contact. Targets are headed down an old road into the woods."

All the men in the barn rush out and we hear more weapons firing as several men run past the barn entrance.

"My God. She made them see just the barn, not us.  She really is a witch!" Sarah whispers.

"Yeah, that's my Mom," Hailey says smiling.

Max looks toward the doors, waves his hand, and they close. We all breath a sigh of relief and climb down the ladder, except for Max and Hailey.  They spin to the ground like they went up in each other's arms.

Hailey rushes to her Mom and gives her a hug as the rest of us surround her.

"Thanks Rachel. You just saved a lot of lives. Including ours," Max says.

"Thank me later. What I did won't last long."

I turn to Sarah, "Do we have a clear path to the SUV?" After a moment, she takes a breath and opens her eyes.

"Almost. There's still five men guarding it, but the rest of them are surrounding a dark pond in the woods. I don't understand why."

Max smiles, "I do. That was a very good idea Rachel."

"My pleasure," she turns to me. "Now, get my Daughter out of here."

After leaving the barn we sneak up to the path to the edge of the tree line and crouch down.