Chapter 29: The Photos

Start from the beginning

Her being a girl does not change the outcome of the situation. If it were a guy, Tobias would like to know that he had a crush on his girlfriend. Considering how close Evelyn and I are, I'm not sure he'd be happy to hear that. But Tobias has and will always be a pretty unpredictable person. When you think he'll do one thing he does the opposite. And when you think he'll do the opposite he does something completely different.

We've been on good terms ever since his outburst in the bathroom at his house a few days ago. I couldn't tell if he was relieved or annoyed at the fact that I figured out that he suffers from psychosis all by myself. I mean, it's not like he could hide it when he was clearly in a deluded state at the time he attacked me. If his goal was to hide it, he failed miserably.

"Ariel, look—"

"If you're gonna apologize, stop. You already did that yesterday and the day before that and the day before that one too. I've accepted your apology, Evelyn so let's not make this any more awkward than it has to be." She lowered her gaze to her tray of food and nodded her head firmly, "okay, okay good I-I was just making sure."

"Yo, white chicks, wassup?!" I peered up at Parker who lowered himself down onto the table, a giddy smile playing on his lips, "so, you girls still kissing or what?" He snickered. His eyes lingered on me for a few seconds before they swivelled towards Evelyn. "What did you just say, pretty boy?" She growled defensively. Parker raised his hands in surrender. "He heard us arguing about the kiss, Evelyn," I answered her unasked question. The warm colour that flowed through her face suddenly flushed.

"Aw did you girls think this was a kiss and no tell thing because it sure seems like it." Although I know he's only joking, I still couldn't help but feel the urge to ram him into the wall behind us. I still don't know why Tobias is best friends with him. They seem so incompatible but in all fairness so do Evelyn and I. "You better shut your hole, Parker. Or I swear to god—"

"Let's see what her boyfriend has to say about that," he interrupted abruptly as his eyes flickered towards Tobias sauntering towards us. I did plan on telling Tobias about Evelyn's feelings for me but I sure as hell don't want it to come from a third party. I'll personally rip every curly strand of hair off his head and make him eat it. "I dare you, Parker," I whispered below my breath, just loud enough for him to hear.

When Tobias had reached our table, he placed his bag down onto the bench and immediately grabbed a hold of my face in the palm of his hands, ignoring Parker and Evelyn as if they weren't even there. He kissed me softly, but quickly and immediately pulled away before I could enjoy it. I pouted, feigning that I was hurt by the swift moment. He slipped his arm around my waist.

"I bought you your favourite. Don't be sad." He whispered as he planted a kiss against my cheek. Before I could ask what it was, his hands disappeared into his bag and he retrieved a packet of skittles. "I got it in the canteen. It was the last one, say thank you." I giggled softly and snatched it from his hands, "thank you." I'm glad that things were back to normal for us. I didn't realize how much I missed him until I had him again.

"You guys make me want to rip my eyes out of my sockets and as I scream in agony and nearly bleed to death, I make sure to stomp on them so that if I survive no one will put them back and I won't have to relive this god awful moment all over again," Parker exclaimed dramatically. Evelyn laughed loudly and threw her hands in the air when my smouldering gaze met hers.

"Haha, please return my laugh." Tobias deadpanned.

"You won't be laughing when—" his eyes travelled towards me. I stared him down, silently daring him to say what I knew he was itching to blurt out. If Parker was the reason why Tobias' and I reconciliation falls short then I'll make sure that the last thing he sees before he wakes up in the infirmary is my fist. "When what?" Tobias muttered in disinterest. Parker's gaze slowly began to peel away from mine and for a split second there I could see the hesitation on his face as he contemplated telling Tobias the truth.

I won't keep it from him, but I also won't let someone else steal my thunder. "Nothing dude, I was just messing with you guys. Y'all look cute, really but please take your PDA somewhere else," he laughed it off as he lowered himself down beside Evelyn whose happy meter had run its course. Whatever your intentions were, Parker, I'm glad you decided against it.

          Because my patience is already too thin to withstand any more damage.

Present

As soon as the bell had rung, I found a way to escape Evelyn so that I could thoroughly examine the contents of this envelope. I only saw the message scribbled at the top of what appeared to be a photo. So when I was safely secured inside my locked car, I retrieved the envelope from my bag. When my hands emerged from within it, I froze.

I was right, it is worse than the pig's heart on my doorstep. Sure that was a direct threat but this holds more power over me than anything else. If I'm trying to convince people that Tobias is innocent they will surely paint me as a hypocrite if this gets out. Not only will it jeopardize Tobias and my credibility, but my pleas will also fall on deaf ears because people won't think that I'm being sincere.

I can't have that. I can't have my reputation tainted just because of a moment of bad judgement. I glared down at the photo of Larson and I kissing just a week ago. From the quality of the photo, it was clear the person who snapped this was at a great distance from Larson's window but close enough that our faces were recognizable. I knew I had a blackmailer. . .but not a stalker. This person followed me all the way to Larson's house, spied on us then took photos?

If this gets out who will believe the cheating girlfriend running around like a fanatic preaching that her incarcerated boyfriend was innocent? Just thinking about it makes me want to laugh at its absurdity. If I can see the ridiculousness behind this, what will everyone else think? I can't have people thinking I'm an easy pass who's weak.

I can't ruin my reputation nor can I ruin Tobias' further than it already is. There aren't any more messages left but it's clear what this threat is: stop or I release them. I crushed the photo beneath my fingertips and shoved it back into the file, no longer able to watch.

          Whoever this bloody bastard was. . .

They're going to regret it.

~~~