Chapter 29: The Photos

Start from the beginning

Past

The crayon shifted in between my fingers steadily as I dragged it in between the outline of the unicorn. She seemed happy, happier than me to be exact. I wish I were as happy as her, maybe then I wouldn't be stuck in here. The door screeched open and I immediately tore my attention away from the colouring book in my hand.

"Couldn't you have given me anything other than a colouring book? How old am I? Five?" I spat venomously. The woman—whose face I would love to see buried beneath my feet—chuckled. "You seem to be enjoying it. The way you were engrossed moments ago says otherwise," she exclaimed.

I frowned, knowing that it was true. I did enjoy colouring some moments ago. Maybe it was just her presence that sent me into a sour mood. I can't lie, she does have a punchable face, "you didn't answer my question." I growled below my breath. She dragged the vacant plastic chair towards me and sat down. I'm not used to the fact that she doesn't fear me as much as others do. I loathed her for that specific reason. Even if I did something bat shit crazy she wouldn't sway: she'd just smile and ask me if I were done throwing a fit.

I hate her.

"There's nothing here that's your age," she said. I flung the colouring book across the room and snapped the crayon in half before dropping it into her lap, "then why the hell am I here!?" She smiled, "you're not cleared to have any devices as yet which is what kids your age usually have, right? Phones, Tablets, laptops. You haven't gotten that privilege yet and you won't unless you make progress." I fought to keep my lips from curling into a sneer. The fact that I couldn't hit her right then and there was infuriating.

I clamped down onto my tongue hard enough so that it drew blood. I wasn't phased by the metallic taste of my own blood that enveloped my mouth. Why? Because I've grown accustomed to it. She considers it self harm, so whenever I do it in her presence she gets agitated and that's the only time I can successfully rouse any emotion other than happiness from her god-awful face. "Stop that!" She said sternly.

I lowered my hands down onto the table and leaned across it so that my face hovered over hers. I parted my mouth and ran my tongue across my lips, coating it with blood. She visibly cringed, "or what?" I spat down her neck. The corner of her mouth twitched. She wants to react but she won't. What the hell will make this devil spawn react!? "I'm not afraid of you, Ariel. I actually admire you: your bravery and dedication, yo–" before she could finish the sentence I had already lost interest.

As I slumped back down onto the bench, finally giving up for the day, I let my eyes drift towards the window outlooking the garden outside. I don't know how long I've been sitting in this room. It feels like time holds no value within these suffocating walls and I hated that. I have no control over anything. . .not even time.

And I hate it.

.

"So. . .can I sit here?" Evelyn hovered over me, her soft blue eyes piercing through mine. Tobias would be back from the canteen any moment now. Evelyn has already expressed her jealousy towards our relationship so this encounter is bound to be a little awkward. However; I've pushed her away enough. Punishing her past this point makes no sense since she's already apologized. Still, I didn't know how to feel knowing she had feelings for me whilst also hanging around my boyfriend.