Chapter 13

Bella's POV

     Drew teaches me how to weave and then he went back to making the floor boards.

     As I work on the rug, I think about how drew acted when I mentioned gay marriage. First, he almost said that the Kitchen Boy was hot and now this. Is he gay? Or maybe bi? I would be completely fine with it if he was.

      As I am in deep though, drew walks towards me. I finished the rug and got up to meet him.

     "Ready for dinner?" He asks

    "Yeah." I say, while walking towards the food slot. He follows closely behind me and we get our food. We went to our spot, the lone tree, and ate quietly. I had no clue what to talk about and I bet he felt the same.

    "You know what I liked to do when I was back on Earth?" I say, he just stares at me so I continue.

     "I liked to read books and watch musicals. I know that makes me a nerd but it's what I like to do. There was this YouTube channel that would record musicals and you could watch it for free."

    "YouTube?" He asks, scrunching his eyebrows together.

     "Oh yeah! I forgot! YouTube is a website, or place, on a computer where you can watch or make videos."

     "Oh ok. I never had time for musicals. You know, with the war and everything. But Jerome loved...."

      "Jerome?" I interrupt.

_______________________________

Drew's POV

Shit. Shit shit shit!! What do I do? What do I say?

      "Jerome?" She asks again. I could tell her the truth. But what if she is just like my mom? Taking a deep breath, I answer.

    "Jerome was my boyfriend." I say, waiting for her to freak out.

     "Oh. What was he like?" She asks, not in the slightest bit shocked. Shouldn't she be?

     "Uh... he was like a fresh of breath air. He loved to read and watch musicals. He fought with me in the war before... before he died."

     "I'm sorry for your loss. It must have been hard on you." She said

        "Yeah, it was. I loved him. If marriage was legal for us back then, we like have been married. I'm sorry for not telling you before. It's just when I told me mom that I was bi, she kicked me out."

      "She what? How could she do this?" Bella says, seemingly surprised at the cruelty of people who are afraid of what they don't understand.

     "It was a different time,Bella. People weren't as accepting." I say.

    "But she still shouldn't have done that. I'm so sorry, Drew." She says, right before doing the unexpected.

     She hugged me. I hugged her back. This was the first time in what felt like a millennium, that I had a hug. It probably had been a millennium. It felt nice but all good things must come to an end. She pulls away and looks up at me.

     "We should probably head back." She says.

     We go our separate ways. Her to the rug and I to the shack.

    As I walk away, I hear a blood curdling scream.
   "DREW!!" Then silence. I run to where I heard the voice but nothing. I look frantically, running to each corner of the habitat. Nothing. She's gone. She disappeared. But that's impossible.

      Then I see a hooded figure on top of the hill where Bella and I were 5 minutes ago. I feel a prick on the back of my neck and everything goes black.