Chapter 11

Bella's POV

When we came back to the shack, he handed over the letter. Right there, in Eisenhower's handwriting was his signature. The question is though, why was Drew picked? There must have been hundreds, if not thousands, of other people that could have been chosen.

Drew was looking over my shoulder at the letter, glancing at it and then to me. The letter and then to me.

I move over to the red chair by the fireplace and sit down. There was barely any dust that had lifted when I sat.

Laying the letter on the little nightstand to my right, I look around the little shack that Drew and I currently reside in. It was in a good need of a washing.

It was also in a good need of remodeling. All the wood on the floor was rotting and the walls weren't looking good either.

It kind of makes me think what my friend, Veronica, would have thought. She made a job in remodeling and decorating houses. She would probably be panicking at this dreary place. I can imagine her running around frantically and yelling orders to strip everything.

Just thinking about it, made me laugh. I miss her, she was an amazing friend but here I am, god knows where. I wonder what she's doing right now.

Drew walks over to the little wooden chair on the other side of the nightstand and sits. We just sit there, not saying anything for the next few minutes. Suddenly, I break the silence.

"What's your favorite thing to do?"

"Well, ummm.... I like to read. Specifically, fiction books." Drew says, quietly.

"Do you have a favorite book?" I ask, shifting my body to face him.

" I actually have four. You probably heard of them because ... you know...2020. My favorites are 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith, 'The Heart is A Lonely Hunter' by Carson McCullers, '1984,' by George Orwell, and 'Titus Groan' by Mervyn Peake. '1984,' in particular, is my favorite out of the floor.

It's just so interesting and captivating. And don't get me started on 'Titus Groan.' I mean the Kitchen Boy, he is a completely bad guy but such a..." He stops and looks down but not before I see the bright pink tinge that covers his cheeks. Was he going to say hottie? Is he bi? Should I ask him about it?
You know what? I'm not going to do that. If he wants to talk about it, he can. I mean, I'm completely fine with it. It doesn't bother me in any way.

"I know what you mean. There is this one girl in one of the books that I have read a while back. She was so so smart and her two best friends knew that. She was the top of her class. She was....amazing. She was also a total bad ass when she wanted to be." I say, quickly. He looks at me in total bewilderment.

"What?" I say, looking directly in his eyes.

"You just don't seem like the type of girl to swear."

"Well, get used to it, sweetheart." I say, sarcastically. At this, his body stiffens. He looked at me quizzically, before he stands up, takes the letter and puts it back under the floorboards.

_______________________________

Drew's POV

I almost made a mistake. I remember when I told my mom that I liked both girls and boys. Let's just say, she wasn't happy. She kicked me out of the house but not before she told me that I was an abomination. I can still remember it...

~flashback~

"Hey mom? Can I talk to you for a second?" I say, visibly shaking. What I was about to do... it was going to be terrifying. I could die for this but I need to do it. I can't live in the shadows anymore. I hope she will still love me. I know her beliefs but maybe she will still love me despite that.

"Sure, Honey." She chirps, from the kitchen. It was the 1940's and I just graduated from school.

I can smell the apple pie that was baking in the oven. The scent filled the whole house and made me feel... safe? How can I feel safe when I'm about to admit to my mom that I like men?

Her heels come clicking towards me before they stop. I look up at her. Her thin, perfectly styled hair and her fitted turquoise dress that flared out. I'm going to remember this moment for the rest of my life. My life is going to change. I take a deep breath and tell her the words that I know will break her heart.

"Mom....I'm....uh...I like.... girls.... and uh.... guys,too."

For a moment, everything was still. Then chaos unfolded. Her face... it was heart breaking, to say the least. Tears were pooling in her eyes but she also looked angry? I should've expected this.

"Maybe this is just a phase?" She says, trying to salvage any hope that is left in her frail body.

"Mom, it's not a phase. I like guys... and girls. I like both."

"Get out," She whispers.

"What?" I say, shocked. I knew she would be mad but.... am I being kicked out?

"I said, ' Get out!'" She says, fiercely.

"Mom..."

"No! I am not your mom! You are an abomination. You are vermin! Get out! I said get out!" She says, throwing things at me. I run to my room, lock the door, and quickly grab my things.

She pounds at the door and screams. I'm surprised at how the neighbors haven't come over yet to see what's going on. We all know they love some good gossip.

I grab my bag and open the window. I'm going to miss this place.

Without looking back, I go out the window and into my newly exposed world that has been shaken to its core.

~end flashback~

     When Bella jokingly said 'sweetheart,' it reminded me of the many times that Jerome called me that. It was his pet name for me. He would only call me that when we had one of our few moments when we were alone. Usually after he would say sweetheart, he would follow it with a kiss. But I knew that a kiss would not follow with this 'sweetheart.'

   I put the letter back under the floorboards and set them in place. I loved Jerome. I miss him.

   I miss his fluffy black hair, his beautiful brown eyes, his smile, and...and his beautiful arms that would wrap around me when we were alone.

    A tear falls from my eye and I quickly wipe it away. This is not the time or place to cry. Turning around, I catch Bella's eyes and she quickly looks down. Great, and we have a few more hours till sundown.