Chapter 10

I'd be lying if I said I had a peaceful dreamless sleep that night.

"We have to do this Em, it's our last chance to save Ella and Nick, not to mention the world" Jack yelled over the rush of wind, gesturing to the two cowering children in the corner. I glance once at their terrified faces and nodded. I won't deny I have a soft spot for little children.

"GO!" I yelled, pushing my hands in front of me to create a streak of ice. Jack and mine connected in the middle, the impact creating a light shower of blue sparks around us. I closed my eyes, gritting my teeth as the streak starts to build up more force and power. The nightmares nearby whined once, before disappearing into black dust, causing a flare of triumphant and relief in me.  

But it disappeared almost immediately.

"You think you're doing great, but really, you're not" Pitch's voice taunted me from nearby. I hesitantly opened my eyes and I'm horrified to see we only killed some of nightmares nearby, there's still a whole herd of nightmares ready to fight us, full of power and darkness...and fear. 

"Give up...let the fear envelop you....give up..." I'm not sure if it's Pitch's dark voice in my head or it's just me, slowly giving up.  

"Emma! Don't give u-" The rest of Jack's speech is cut short as he crumpled to the ground, breathing heavily. The connection between us died and I held in my horror as I ran towards him, anxiety filling my body.

"Jack? Damnit Jack don't be dead" I screamed, shaking his shoulders. He slowly opens an eyes and I'm shocked to find it's not its normal electric blue, it's brown. One glance at his hair tells me it's not its usual white-blonde, it's brown. His hair and eyes are brown, like they were when he was a mortal.

"I'm...fine.." He winced, slowly sitting up. I don't let go of his hand, anxiously checking his face for any signs of pain or discomfort.

"Can...can you make snow fall from the sky?" I asked, my voice trembling. He slowly positioned his staff, which he never let go of, to the sky. 

Nothing.

"I don't believe this" I whispered, shakily touching my face, which already has dry tear tracks down it.

"He'll live. But only for a few years, before his mortal body gives up" Pitch said from nearby, causing me to tense up. 

"Leave, you've done enough" I snapped, furiously rubbing at my tear tracks, in hope they'll go away.

"But we're just getting started. Soon, everything you love will be gone. Jack..your only living family. North, Tooth, Sandy, Kangaroo...your only living friends. Nick and Ella...the little children you were meant to care for. And after that? Only time will tell...."

I gasped as I shot up in bed, my heart thumping loudly in my ears. 

It seemed so real.

"I don't want to live this life. I want to go home" I whispered to myself, pressing my hands to my cheeks.

Except, I had no real home. The cottage I grew up in with Jack and my mum got burnt down after my mum died of old age and heart break. And I usually just wandered around the town, picking random places or motels to rest in. 

Mum. I had to watch her die slowly, both mentally and physically, waiting for Jack and I to return. I had to watch her sit by that window, prepare a meal for three, in hope that we'd come home. Except we never did. Everyday, she grew older, streaks of grey in her brown hair and her sad eyes getting wrinkles around them. I left then, I couldn't stand to watch my mum die. I wanted to comfort her, tell her that I was alright, except she couldn't see me, hear me. 

"Hey Em, you alright there?" A familiar voice asked me, as I sat up.

"Not really. I just had a nightmare" I sighed, shaking my head.

"Do you want to tell me about it?" Elsa asked me as she sat down on my bed, concern in her deep turquoise eyes.

"We used sulphigating, in an attempt to save Ella and Nick from Pitch and the nightmares," I explained, feeling worried just talking about it "It worked at first, but then I slowly gave up, causing Jack to lose his powers. He turned into a mortal, right there before my eyes" I cringed as I thought about it, the way his brown eyes held less power, less fun, less of the Jack I knew now. Less of the Jack I loved.

"I understand what you mean. I've had these kind of nightmares too. Except it wasn't Jack, who was slowly fading away" Elsa said softly, turning her head slightly.

"Who was it?" I asked curiously.

"Anna," She sighed sadly "When I joined to be a guardian, I got granted immortality. But Anna...she's allowed to stay here, while the Palace gets put together again. But she can't be a guardian. In a few years, I'm going to have to watch her grow up, grow old. And I just can't imagine a world without my sister. She's my only living relative, like Jack is to you"

"Oh El.. I'm so sorry, I never thought about that" I whispered guiltily.

"It's alright, it's not something I usually open up to everyone. Anyway, we have alot more years before it all happens, we just have to make the best of it, don't we?"

"I guess..." I agreed, yawning slightly. 

"I better leave, tomorrow, we're going to have to train harder then we did before, now that we know Pitch could be ready to strike any day. Goodnight" Elsa shot a warm smile at me before making her way out of the door. 

Tomorrow, I thought to myself sleepily as I snuggled deeper in my blankets. Tomorrow, I was going to train harder then I ever did before. And I'm not going to give up like I did in that damn nightmare. 

No, I was never going to give up. Never.

Um too cheesy? Not enough Jack? Ah, questions that will never be answered...UNLESS YOU COMMENT BELOW MAYBE PWEASE? C;

 Ah so, schools started again yay...so that means less updates cause the teachers just wanna drown us in work. Like, no really, please, you don't have to do this for us...psh stop wasting your time writing assignments like loosen up and live a little eh?

I went through some editing, and fixed all the ' to " as some of you suggested. Thanks for the tip btw, the more comments i get on how to make this better, THE MORE HAPPY AND HOPEFULLY BETTER THIS STORY CAN BE YAY. 

On a further amazing note, I reached exactly 100 reads on my previous chapter, yet again. Honestly, you guys are absolutely amazing! I swear, I've never updated as much as I am now. The more reads\comments\votes, the quicker the update will be :D Everytime I see the reads, or votes, or comments go up I FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU ALL OVER AGAIN.

Lol kidding, my heart is set for Luke Hemmings sorry. Our age difference is 3 years and 364 days. Psh it could work. 

Salut  (Curious, do you want my A\N's to be shorter? xD)