Chapter 20

I sat by the fancy fireplace inside the comfy apartment trying to enjoy my wine as I sauntered all the glares and stares from three pairs of eyes.

I took another sip and almost smirked at the sweet taste. Maybe I really do enjoy too much of alcohol. Fine alcohol to be exact.

"So uhmmmm---." The raven haired girl shifts nervously in front of me as I looked at her. "I- we- we wanna make sure that we can leave Dani in your care. And you will fulfill your responsibili---."

"Should you be really pointing that clause to me?". I raise my left eyebrow at her and she shut her mouth.

"We just want to make sure." The brown haired girl said while fiddling with the hem of her blouse.

"I assure all of you that I don't wanna be placed in such circumstances whereas I could stress myself. As sad at it is, here I am now. Even though I could care less for all of you, here I am. I don't have a choice now, do I?". I said as I sipped the wine again.

"You could choose to not accept aunt Agatha's offer!". The ballsy redhead sneered at me.

"I don't have to explain myself to anybody else, especially not you, little girl." I cocked my head to the side to prove my point.

"Yeah right. That's quite right. You will eat your words once you start eating Da---." Her eyes blazed with anger but was cut short by the brown haired girl.

"Maddie!, just stop it! We don't have a choice now, do we? I asked Kief about this and he can't find anything about her."

I already know that these girls ran a background check on me. I confidently know that they won't find anything. All they can see were my achievements.

"That's right Toni, Kief didn't find anything which means, she doesn't want to let us know about it." The red hair gave me another glare.

"I could throw you to prison for meddling with my personal life." I simply say as I stare at the fire again.

"You are my best friends Doctor, we have the right to know your background. If you were able to keep it from the most reliable private investigator that we have, then you must come from old gold. You must come from a wealthy family." She says.

"Do you really dear? The right to know I mean, only an employer should know about the background of his employee. You are not paying for my time, are you?". I said still not looking at her.

"Then how much is your time? If this is about money, tell me how much. It's better to leave Dani alone that to repeat what she has been through."

"Maddie... just stop. Dani needs this. Look, she has been drinking too much lately. And don't even start me with the drugs Maddie. You were away, you wouldn't see how much she takes from that LSD. The weed is almost unbearable sometimes but theres no single day that James comes by here and bring her more." The brown haired girl says.

"What?! You know Toni? Why didn't you tell me?."

"I was supposed to. Until you come by and visit. But this happened. I tried to warn James but when he denies her, you know how Dani gets."

I made mental note to not forget that information.

"She doesn't use crack, does she?". The black haired girl asks.

"Nooooo. Thats just what James told me. And I won't believe that Dani would stoop that low."

"Soooo, I don't know what to say anymore. She clearly needs this. Just give this a chance Maddie." The black haired girl who if I'm not mistaken is Barbara.