Chapter 18

"You must've read her file now." The uncertainty in the voice Agatha Hawthorne is almost sad.

"I am not going to discuss this over the phone. I will be visiting her next month, I wanted to speak with you also. Personally."

"Mrs. Hawthorne, I will not agree to this. I am not after the money. I am her professor and this is against my sworn oath and ethics. I need to give up my classes to accept this offer, and I am not doing it." I said in a stern voice.

"I see."

"And you are not going to object it." I said in finality.

"Oh Doctor, all these years in business taught me lots of things. I accept refusal when I hear one." Then I heard her chuckle.

It seems to me that whatever it is happening right now is 'normal' to her.

"Now, I can only help out Miss Hawthorne by recommending a new Psychiatrist to her. I know somebody---."

"No." Her tone seemed to harshen. "No there won't be in need of that. I- I will be there in a month. I will take care of it." She said in a softer tone.

"Okay." I frowned while glancing at Diana once again.

"But just a little favor though--- I uh- I- please just check on her from time to time. It will just be a month. Her father needs my full attention right now. But I can't just let her be herself. I know she also needs me. But please understand. I already asked my sister to stay with her while she's there. Amanda won't be back until 3 months because of her show so it won't be any problem in the near future."

I was silent for a moment.

"I know you don't know me personally. And I don't even know you too. But I thoroughly tried to look for somebody that can help her and I know you can. Please, I know that you're one of best Doctors out there."

"You said a month?." I can sense the other person on the other line felt relieved because I heard a faint gasp. "Mrs. Hawthorne?."

"Ah-yes. I will be there next week and we shall settle this conversation. The Doctors had informed me that she will be released tomorrow. Her injuries will take time to heal but I am more concerned on her uh- state of mind. Diana is a very wild child. She's very resilient. I know that uh- physical harm- she can shrug it off. But her decisions-they can be quite drastic. So I was hoping you can stay with her at least a week until I come?."

I sighed in defeat. Now I know why this woman is unbeatable in business. Her convincing powers were quite remarkable.

"I agreed to be her Doctor, not her baby sitter Mrs. Hawthorne. Perhaps I can visit her everyday and check on her until you arrive here." I said in an even tone.

"Oh yes. I should have known it would be too much to ask to you. But yes. I thank very much for accepting being her Doctor-"

"For a month." I reminded her sternly.

"Yes, for a month. Please do as you can to help her. I will be arranging the matters with Alberta until I fix everything. Thank you once again Doctor Clements."

"And-." Before I could finish, the call abruptly ended. I sighed in defeat. I walked over towards Diana and stared at her face again.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

I placed my purse down at my coffee table and made sure I locked my front door. After the conversation with Agatha Hawthorne, I lingered at the hospital for awhile until I received another call from Alberta saying that I should go home and rest for awhile and be back tomorrow morning to pick up Diana. I took off my shoes as I sat on my bed. I turned on the TV and decided to have a bath.

"The accident involving the students of University of Eldridge has been solved. The police has already the suspect in custody who had been driving under the influence of alcohol causing the collision of his Range Rover to two more vehicles, the cadillac '86 which was driven by a student from the University and a Ducati Primera Big Bike driven also by an unidentified person. The family of the student wishes to deal with their loss privately and also wants to file a case to the man responsible for their child's early passing---".

I frowned and turned the tv off. I went to the bathroom and tested the if the water is warm enough. I got inside the bathtub as soon as I took off my robe. I rub my temples and I barely ate anything today. All I did was pace around the hospital room and looked at Diana. I can barely even stomach the guilt that I'm feeling. I sighed and after a few minutes feeling the bath getting cold, I got up put on my robe once again and headed to bed.

But just as before I lay back, I accidentally looked glanced at my bedside table. The brown and white folder containing Diana Hawthorne's file is taunting me. Almost mocking me with it's black clips and the bold letters that say  'PRIVATE' is unpleasing to the eyes. I sighed and slowly reached for it.

Hesitating to open the file, I closed my eyes and turned the folder. I was met by a picture. A very innocent picture. She was wearing an orange shirt, tight fitting black jeans and converse shoes. She was wearing an orange headband and she was grinning at the camera. She is spreading her arms out like this photo was a candid shot that she was laughing about. Those gray orbs were sparkling and the shine in them is contagious.

I flipped the picture not really expecting to see something behind it but I read in cursive writing. You will always be our baby girl. Love, mum and dad

So this photo must be taken by her mother or her father. It looked like she was having fun. I flipped another page. I saw a child, more like 5 or 7 years old. Wearing a cape and a mask. Her hair was messy and two of her front teeth were missing. The photo was so hilarious that I almost almost chuckle. But those same gray eyes were engraved in my mind like an old poem by a lover. How could I forget those shining ashes?

But the next picture, I raised my eyebrow at this. The picture was taken maybe not long ago. Because the hair is the same style, the cocky grin and the 'no bullshit' eyes were present. But she has dark rings under her eyes and she looked a tad bit drunk?

I flipped the photo and saw it was dated 6 months ago. Taken by A.F.V.T.

I would be lying if I say you don't look like hell, but damn. I can say, you are hella hotter than hell on your mugshot. Can't help it :)

Who is A.F.V.T.?

I flipped another page to add more curiousity. But all I ever saw was a short letter. It was handwritten and in cursive writing.

I am yours. You captivate me with your smile and I want you mine. I need you and I love you. Here, as I lay in my bed, I think of us. I want to feel your warmth enveloping me everytime I lay asleep and in the morning, your sweet smile as you mumble my name while I caress your cheek. Please stay with me. I never knew love until I knew you.

It was cut short in at the end of the paragraph, there was the initials. It was barely noticeable like it had tried to be erased. Looking like the ink is almost not there.

D.A.H.

My heart is thumping on my chest. I felt every word that was written on the letter. I felt the love pouring out each stroke of the pen. This feeling is choking me. I don't love. I don't feel. I don't want to. There is no such thing. This is nothing but words. But the jealousy of the attention showered to the person whom she wrote this to is almost unbearable. Is this person worthy enough for Diana to put such words into use and hand them to her using a sheet of paper?

I silently closed the file and put them inside my drawer. I pulled the duvet over my body and tried to wash away the spiralling thoughts in my mind. And slowly, I felt myself being pushed to the pit of darkness.

____________________________________________

Hey! Please leave some comments guys!
🖤🍎