𝟒𝟔. 𝐁𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐇𝐲𝐩𝐨𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐲

It didn't take long for me to go to my room, all I wanted was to finally lay on my bed and close my eyes. I needed them to stop, all these thoughts, I needed them to vanish but they never did. I tried pushing them to the back of my mind but no, the always returned even stronger and with more force. So, I shut my eyes and soon I was enveloped by sleep.

The next morning I woke up full of energy. I woke up the way kings wake, just the same. We were all blessed with the same time, the same experience of consciousness. My eyes greeted the dayshine, my heart and lungs expanded. At first there were the dreams, then the sense of welcoming a new day, the anticipation of whatever would come.

I slowly got up and let my feet touch the soft carpet, a shiver run inside my body almost instantly. I quickly tiptoed till the bathroom. I stripped down and stepped slowly into the tub, turning the water on high and letting it beat over my head in steamy rivulets. Closing my eyes to the water as the heat soaked into my skin, I leaned against the cool tiles enjoying every moment.

The water poured down, it dripped by my side, as my mind faded into dullness and everything was a foggy illusion. The sensation of the steamy water calmed me. It took my mind off things. My mind swirled, and it was as if I was standing under an everlasting waterfall. Ever so beautiful, but it could never last, I knew that now.

As soon as I finished my shower I put on my black trousers and a simple black top. I let my hair down, dancing in the wind. Today I had to do many things, firstly, I had to go shopping and buy new clothes. I had to change my hair and style. Most importantly I had to find someone who would be willing to make me a fake ID and a passport. My day would be for sure busy.

As soon as I opened the door of my room a bumped into a tall man. I decided not to get angry, so I looked up and forced a smile.

"Are you alright?" he asked me clumsily. The tall man steadied me. His hands were warm on my shoulders.

"I am fine, thank you," I replied in a casual tone.

"And here I thought Detroit would be boring," he smirked. His accent was British."I do not enjoy drinking coffee alone so what do you say?"

"How would I possibly go for coffee with a complete stranger?" I replied mockingly.

"I am Elliot." he extended a hand and I shook it. His hand was soft and warm upon my palm.

"Alice, nice to meet you," I smiled. "I would love to come for that coffee only if you promise to give me a tour. I have heard that 'Detroit by night' is...exciting"

"Sure why not. Anything in particular that you would like to see?" he asked me playfully.

"Oh you know basic stuff. Just all the shady bars where I could find someone to make me a fake ID and a passport," I laughed while hitting his shoulder playfully.

He stood there without talking, hell I thought he wasn't even blinking but finally he laughed with me. What he didn't know was that he had just verified to me that indeed, he knew those shady bars. He was exactly what I needed, he would point out the road for me and I would finally leave and go to Australia.

"Shall we?"

"Most certainly."

We started walking down the stairs and got out of the hotel. He lead me into a cozy cafeteria down the street. It was early and the machines were yet to warm, so I pondered this chance to rest a moment longer, to just enjoy my surroundings. I took a good look inside the cafeteria, the barista had tired eyes, yet there was that glimmer, a give away of her good heart. I guessed that she was one of those surviving sparks, one of the ones who held on to who they really are.