Scented candles

Mortal AU

Scented candles did not help?

Muggings, fights, public arguements and other crimes weren't uncommon but everyone always said they'd never end up involved with any of them. Come on, only an idiot would anger a drunk or a gang member or a kid pretending to be a gang member.

Hearth supposed that meant he was an idiot then, even though he didn't mean to anger that incrediblely drunk fellow who kept stepping infornt of him as he tried to walk by.

"Hey! Hey, blondie! C'mon! Lemme get you a drink!" He'd slurred as he followed Hearth down the street, eventually pulling the blonde rather harshly by the collar of his jacket and jerking hin back, much to his surprise.

"Oi! I'm talkin' to you," he was quite close to the blonde's face, breath stinking of beer and cigarettes. He recoiled and tried to swat him away.

"Oh, no you don't. C'mon, I'm just tryna talk to you. Why you gotta be so ignorant? Ignoring me and all." Hearth tried to step back again, going to gesture to his ears but before he was even half way there the man huffed.

"Aren't you gonna talk to me? Or just stare at me? Are you slow or something?" He asked, frowning now. Hearth shook his head and pointed to his ears, it taking a few minutes for the drunk to even realise he was trying to get a point across.

"Oh, well then," He calmed down instantly, "Lemme get you a drink." The blonde instantly shook his head.

"It wasn't an offer. I'm getting you a drink." He started to lead Hearth into the pub, now leading him by the wrist. Before he knew it, Hearth found himself sitting at the bar on a sticky stool. He sat as the man stood right behind him, hand on Hearth's lower back, ordering drinks. By the time the man had finished his drink Hearth still hadn't touched his.

"Drink up." He shook his head and pointed out the door in hopes to be able to just leave now and head home.

"Oh? Do you want to go somewhere else-?" Hearth had slid off the stool by then and, only when the man pulled him by the shoulder, crossed his legs slightly and made a very animated show to get it across he needed the loo.

The moment and man nodded he near ran and, when in the bathroom, opened and climbed out through the window and ended up right infornt of a people who were all too close and saying far too many things. By the time he made it clear he had no clue what they had said and he needed to go the tallest of them had punched him. Far too many things happened in a matter of minutes but it was a bit like very violent birds had descended on a punching bag.

They grew bored or perhaps they heard something, but no matter what it was they had walked off and Hearth picked himself off the ground and went to head home. Quickly, praying to anything and everything that he wouldn't run into anything or anyone else. Thankfully he got home without anything else happening.

The moment he was was in the door of his shared appartment he was sat in the kitchen being asked what had happened by an increasingly worried Magnus.

"I'm calling Blitz! He needs to be here-he's good with injuries I..I'll just called him, okay? Stay there and I'll call him," he walked off to go fetch his phone and called the shorter of the trio.

"Blitz? Blitz? You need to leave work. Now. Hearth got hurt and you're far better with injuries than me. And getting through to Hearth too. Please." Twenty minutes, he said he'd be there in twenty minutes and he was, of course, there in twenty minutes. Worried sick as he raced through the door to get to Hearth.

"Buddy! What happened?" He knelt down on the floor to gaze up to Hearth's face, hand gently on the blonde's knee.

"Yeah, what happened? Did you fall? Did someone do this? I'll go find them and make them..say sorry or something. I don't know yet." Magnus was talking so fast and he was shaking Hearth's shoulder which caused him to cry out in pain. Vision blurring with threatening tears.

"Oh sorry! I'll just let go. Sorry. So. What happened? Where were you?" The questions continued as well as Blitzen's more quiter ones to try coax him into telling them.

And then a tear fell. And another. And he was crying. He never cried. Why was he crying? Probably because he was tired.. he did forget to sleep. Maybe because of the Magnus and Blitzen not shutting up? Or, or it could be that he was in so much pain he might as well just curl up and die. Or maybe he was just..crying? For no reason. He didn't know.

"Oh.. Hearth. Buddy. It's okay. C'mon, let's go upstairs and we'll get you clean up, alright?" Hearth nodded and allowed himself be led to the bathroom where he sat atop the closed toliet lid and let Blitzen fuss about him. The painkillers helping with the pain in his shoulder-no thanks to Magnus. He told Blitzen what had happened, hands held by his stomach so he didn't have to move his shoulder much.

Soon he was tucked into bed and being fussed about still which was alright since it now involved food that Blitzen kept appearing with to make him laugh as he twirled about the room and handed him the plate of cookies or the sandwich or the pile of crisps Magnus had made. Magnus also helped with lighting some scented candles because why not, they were meant to help with stress.

Frankly, Hearth was fine. Sure he was in pain but he was happily sitting with his two best friends, eating little bits of food as they talked and joked. And that made the day a million times better- even if he was in pain but the painkillers helped with that.