sixteen [t]

saturday,
may 4th, 2020

TRINITY HAYSON

"Trinity."

My lips fall agape, my eyelids fluttering repeatedly in a way of trying to convince myself that this isn't real. He's not sitting there, right in front of me. Right beside me. In the same confined space. No way.

"Fuck," I whisper absentmindedly, earning a breathy, bewildered chuckle from the man next to me.

Christ, he's beautiful. His curls, slick with rainwater are matted to his forehead. His amber eyes are wide with surprise and the tiniest smile pulls at the edges of his rosy, puffy lips. He's dressed prince-like. He looks like actual royalty.

"I— you can take this cab," Shawn stammers, getting ready to push open the door, "M'sorry. I'll get another one."

I frown, watching as he glances out the window to make sure it's safe to open the door. Just as his fingers latch onto the silver handle, I clutch his opposite wrist. I wince, not sure of what I'm about to say. This makes no sense, yet I find myself yearning to tell him to stay.

"It's okay," I whisper shyly, "We can share. The traffic is mad, you'll be ages finding another one. And it's cold, and raining."

I don't want him to get sick.

He looks taken aback, eyebrows raised, "Are you sure?"

I nod with pursed lips, offering a small smile, "Yeah."

Shawn sighs, breaking eye contact to glance at his shoes. He pushes his hair from his face, shoving his curls into a little wavy mound atop his pretty head. He clears his throat, flicking his head towards me again. My breath catches in my throat due to how unbelievably gorgeous he looks.

"Where're you heading?" he asks softly, hazel irises faltering to stare at my lips before I lick them. He snaps his eyes back to my own, awaiting my answer.

"West 192nd Street," I reply gently, almost a whisper.

Shawn nods, "West 192nd Street, please," he says to the driver, leaning forward in his seat a little.

"Sure thing, man, but I gotta tell ya, with this traffic?" the driver huffs, "Could be fifty minutes to an hour."

My face falls as my eyebrows scrunch. All I want to do is get home to my cramped little apartment and sleep in my comfortable bed. Maybe curl up with a cup of tea first, or have a hot bath. I don't want to be sitting in a cab for an hour, that's for sure. But what choice do I have? I can't possibly walk there in this rain. I'm fond of walking, so on any other day, I may attempt walking the thirty minute drive from this part of the city, but tonight? Not a chance.

Shawn sighs, grabbing my attention, "Trinity, I can leave if you want. Let me pay for the ride."

I shake my head immediately, "No, Shawn. I'm not letting you pay that. It's gonna be fucking expensive."

Shawn shrugs, reaching for his wallet before I stop him with a featherlight hand on his bicep. He freezes, eyes swivelling up towards mine. I blink, swallowing back nostalgic tears. He swiftly licks his lips, glancing at my hand on his arm. I quickly retract it, seeing his face fall in the slightest.

"Just stay," I sigh.

Shawn nods, clearing his throat again before sinking into his seat and buckling his belt. I do the same, realising that the car hasn't moved an inch since we stepped in. Just on that thought, it crawls forward a little before a red light prevents us from crossing the intersection.