42 | Listen

Lost and insecure
You found me, you found me
Lying on the floor.

-The Fray, "You Found Me"

Panama City Beach, Florida

Rachel

"Don't you think that's just a little bit over the top?" Brooke asked as we dug our toes into the sand in front of the gulf.

"You didn't see him, Brooke. He isn't himself anymore. He's... empty somehow. The light in his eyes is gone," I murmured, glancing at her from the corner of my eye.

She cocked her head to the side as if considering my words. "Well, you know him better than I do. But... did he actually hurt you?" she asked.

I shook my head quickly. "No no. I just lost my balance. It wasn't a big deal, but... he knew he had gone a little bit too far. And..." I took a deep breath. "I don't want it to ever go any further."

"Come on, Rach. Miles would never hurt you."

I shrugged one shoulder. "I wouldn't think so either, but... the war has changed him, and he needs to talk to someone. But he won't..."

Brooke pursed her lips and raised an eyebrow. "So you're going to commit him?"

"I don't know... but it's sort of looking like my only choice right now. He won't listen... And I'm afraid if I wait for him to come around on his own, it's going to be too late."

Brooke reached over and grasped my hand and squeezed it, and I felt the tears spill over onto my cheeks.

"It's going to all be okay, Rachel. I promise," she said, holding my hand tight without letting go.

"God, I hope so, Brooke... I can't watch him spiral like this without trying to stop it... But he's going to be so angry."

"He might be at first, but he'll understand once he gets the help he needs," she assured me.

I nodded reluctantly and lay my head on her shoulder, and we sat that way for another hour, until the surf reached our toes.

Chicago-O'Hare International Airport

Luke

I had never been so ready to get home in my life. I needed to see that Brooke was okay for myself and give my brother the biggest hug for saving her life.

"Flight 436 to the Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport is now boarding at Gate 17," a disembodied voice droned over the intercom.

I picked up my duffel bag and looked around for my dad, who was making his way toward me with two Starbucks cups in hand.

"You're the bomb.com, Daddio," I said, gratefully taking the coffee.

He laughed and shook his head. "Son, don't take this the wrong way, but... you're a dork."

"I learned from the best," I shot back as we walked down the airbridge to the plane.

"Who, your mom?"

"Oooh, burn. I'm going to tell her you said that," I jabbed as we settled into our seats in the first row of the plane.

"Better not. We might both end up in the doghouse," he said, and by the time we got settled, the flight attendants were making their safety presentation, and before we knew it, we were in the air.