10 | Foolish Pride

If he loses her, he's lost his best friend

And more than just a lover can provide.

-Travis Tritt, "Foolish Pride"

Panama City Beach, Florida

Brooke

"Thanks for fitting me in so late. And for seeing me even though I'm not a patient here anymore," I said, and Dr. Young smiled.

"Of course. I told you I'd always be here when you needed me, and I have never been happier to do this exam," she said.

"Does he have any idea?" she asked as she slid my documents and images into an envelope and handed them to me.

I shook my head. "No. His birthday is in just over a month, and I want to give him a present he will never forget," I said, putting my hand on my still flat stomach.

"Well, I think this will do the trick," she said, winking.

"Me too," I agreed.

This may have not been in the plan, but it did feel right.

***

I walked through the door of the penthouse 30 minutes later, with the envelope hidden in my oversized Kate Spade purse.

"Hey babe!" I called, kicking my sandals off and coming into the kitchen, where Luke sat just staring at his uneaten food. "Hey. Luke. You okay?" I asked, bending over to kiss him on the forehead.

He looked up, his hazel eyes flat. "I'm fine, Brooke. How was the meeting?"

I swallowed. "It was fine - uh, the trustees gave me the go ahead with the budget I presented," I said, trying to sound convincing.

He nodded, his lips tight. "Right..." Suddenly he stood up and pushed his food in the trash can. "Pasta's in the fridge. I'm going to bed, Brooke. Goodnight," he muttered, kissing my cheek briefly and going into the bedroom.

I bit my lip. What's wrong with him?

Luke

I changed into my pajamas - boxers and a t-shirt - brushed my teeth, washed my face, and got into bed. I lay with my back to Brooke's side of the bed, thinking about the fact that she had lied to me - not once, but twice. I gave her the chance to change her story when she came in the door, but she stuck to the falsehood.

A few minutes later, the door opened and I felt Brooke slide into bed next to me. She wrapped her arm around my waist, but I scooted away from her, her arm falling onto the mattress.

"Luke, what's wrong? Are you mad at me?" she asked, her voice quavering.

I scoffed. "Why would I be mad at you?"

"I honestly don't know, that's why I'm asking," she said, and I could hear frustration creeping into her voice.

I sat up and turned the lamp on. I turned to face her, and she sat up too, her brown eyes wide and searching.

"Brooke, you didn't have a meeting tonight," I said, my voice quiet but clear.

"What? I - what do you mean?" she asked, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"I talked to Dad. He texted me to ask if you and I wanted to go to dinner. He said he'd been with Mom since this afternoon." I scoffed again. "Next time you lie to have an alibi, don't include my parents in it."

Her face fell. "Oh my God..."

"Yeah. What were you doing, Brooke?" I asked, trying to remain calm but feeling my heart rate start to speed up.

"It's not like that, Luke!" she exclaimed.

"Oh, what was it like, then? Tell me, Brooke," I demanded.

She looked torn, her eyes filling with tears. "Please, Luke..."

"This isn't a hard question, Brooke. What were you doing tonight?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I can't tell you," she whispered.

"You can't tell me?" A short laugh escaped my throat in the form of a bark. I threw the covers to the side and slid my feet into my sandals, pulling on some basketball shorts.

"Where are you going?" she asked, tears running down her cheeks.

"Anywhere but here," I spat, leaving the penthouse and slamming the door.

Brooke

Of course, I thought. He thinks I'm cheating. Or on drugs. Or both.

I sighed. I knew this might be something we'd eventually face, but I really thought we were past this. He couldn't really believe I cheated, right?

He caught you in a lie, Brooke, my inner voice says. What is he supposed to think?

I sit there in the dark for a few minutes, trying to decide whether to go after him. I'm sure he's on the beach.

No. I can't tell him I'm pregnant tonight. Not like this. And if I go outside, that's what will end up happening.

So, I took my clothes off, dropped them on the floor, and got into bed, attempting to sleep.

But sleep never arrived.

And neither did Luke.