17 | Reunited

I heard freedom break its chain

I heard a heartbeat where once no sound remained

I heard angels rise and praise

When I heard you whisper my name.

-Randy Travis, "Whisper My Name"

Panama City Beach, Florida

Luke

I dropped Brooke off at the main entrance to the airport and went to park the car in overnight parking. I didn't like leaving her alone, but Mom and Dad should be arriving any minute.

After I parked the car, it took a few minutes for me to get back to where I left Brooke. And when I saw her standing there, I felt yet another wave of love for her, and gratitude for our coming out on the other side of all the horrible things that happened.

She grinned at me, her face lighting up as though I were the only person she saw.

I slipped my arm around her waist as we went to check our bags, and as we went through security, I leaned down to breathe in her ear. "I love you so much, Brooke Lillian Kane."

She looked up at me and kissed me swiftly. "I love you, Lucas Graham Salazar."

***

An hour later, we had met up with Mom and Dad and were on the plane headed to Missouri. We were lucky enough to get a flight straight onto the base, and when we got there, Brooke almost had a coronary when she saw Rachel from across the airport.

"Rachel!" she called, and I saw Rachel turn around and a huge grin spread across her face.

"Brookie!" Rachel answered, and two of them took off toward each other.

I grinned as I watched them reunite after several months of being apart, and for the first time since we found out Brooke was pregnant.

"Oh my God, Brooke, you're glowing!" Rachel squealed, hugging her close again.

"Thanks, Rach. You look beautiful as usual," Brooke commented,

"Stop it, B. You're totally stealing the show," Rachel said, kissing her on the cheek.

"Rachel... are you ready to see Miles?" I asked, leaning in to give her a hug.

She hugged me back and nodded eagerly. "More than ready," she confirmed. She looked around at her parents and the rest of us. "Can we go now!?"

We all laughed and headed out the door to catch the shuttle to the graduation location.

Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri

Rachel

Every nerve ending in my body was buzzing. It had been sixty-eight days since my hand had been in his, since he'd given me a kiss, or even just pushed that stubborn piece of hair off of my forehead.

And in less than an hour, I'd see him cross the stage to graduate boot camp, and then finally, I'd get to hold him again. I could hardly believe the time had come.

But it had.

When we all got seated on the field, the morning sun was warm without being too hot, and the breeze made the weather absolutely perfect. I sat between Brooke and my mom, my leg shaking nervously.