44 | Forever and Ever, Amen

As sure as I live, this love that I give
Is gonna be yours until the day that I die.

-Randy Travis, "Forever and Ever, Amen"

Seaside, Florida

Rachel

The sun was sinking low on the horizon, painting the Florida sky with slashes of red, pink, purple, and orange, the water of the gulf a sparkly mix of emerald and sapphire.

I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful wedding day.

"Rachel?"

I turned to see my father on the balcony of the condo we'd rented for the weekend. He was in a white suit with a sky blue button down, and he looked more handsome than I'd ever seen him.

"Daddy, you look wonderful," I said, and he pulled me into a bear hug.

"Not even close to how wonderful you look, babygirl," he replied, kissing my forehead and holding me back at arm's length so he could see me. "That dress is perfect for this wedding."

I looked down at the flowy satin and lace dress, the white material cinched around my waist and falling at the perfect length above my bare feet. "It really is. It caught Mom's eye, and I knew immediately it was the one."

He pushed a stray hair out of my eyes and tucked it behind my ear. "I'm so proud of you, Rachel Mae. You're getting your Masters degree to fulfill your dream, marrying a truly good man, and you're just about the kindest person I've ever had the pleasure of knowing."

I swallowed over the lump in my throat and swiped my fingertips under my eyes. "Stop it, Daddy, you're gonna make me cry before we even get outside."

He cleared the tears out of his voice and grinned. "Okay, okay." He checked his watch and straightened his suit jacket. "It's time, Rach."

Grabbing his wrist to see for myself, I gasped. "Oh my gosh, I can't believe it." I took a deep breath. "Let's do this."

He offered his arm to me and led me out to the beach, where my future was waiting.

***

I watched Brooke walk between the few rows of chairs that had been set up in a daze. I thought of the entire life Brooke and I had spent together, from kindergarten nap mats to middle school drama to graduating high school and everything in between. When she turned to smile at me from her place across from Luke, I felt fresh tears spring to my eyes.

But when Miles stepped out from the sidelines, my heart burst.

He looked so gorgeous in his white suit and shirt, his feet bare in the sand, his sandy hair blowing in the sunset breeze.

My dad must've heard my sharp intake of breath because he squeezed my forearm. "Rach? Are you okay?"

"I'm fantastic," I whispered. "I'm ready."

Miles

"Are you ready?" Luke hissed in my ear.

I nodded slowly as I watched Rachel and her father walk down the wooden steps from the sand dunes, my heart hammering against my rib cage.

She was stunning.

The dress she'd picked was perfect, simple and flowing, her freckled skin tan against the ivory satin and lace. Her hair fell in waves over her shoulders, and the smile on her face was radiant.

Our gazes connected, and she didn't take her eyes off me, completely relying on her father to keep her on track. I grinned when they reached me, and I took her hand, the surf gently lapping at our feet.

"Hi," I whispered.

"Hi," she breathed, the smile on her face never wavering.

"You look beautiful."

"And you're so very handsome," she responded, gripping my hand.

"Alright, you two," Rachel's Uncle Mark, our officiant, commented, and the small crowd laughed. "Let's get the two of you married."

"Amen!" Brooke piped up.

The vows, the rings, the prayers, the kiss. All of it went by in a blur, but every moment was perfection.

I was marrying the girl who taught me how to love. There was no way my life could get better than this.

***

Brooke was parading around the beach with the bouquet she'd caught, threatening Luke within an inch of his life if he didn't catch the garter as Rachel and I looked on in amusement.

"That girl will never change," Rachel laughed, and I slid my arm around her waist.

"She's been so good for my brother; I hope he does catch the garter," I joked.

We stood and watched our loved ones enjoy the party for a moment before I leaned in close and kissed the side of Rachel's head. "Thank you," I whispered.

"For what?" she asked, looking up at me in confusion.

"Really? Rachel, tell me you don't know you saved me from myself when we were 18," I said, and she flushed.

"You saved me too, Miles. I never thought I'd have anyone to love, anymore happiness after James, but... you proved me wrong. And I've never been more happy to be wrong in my life," she said, and I chuckled.

"It doesn't happen often, does it?" I teased, and she leaned into me. The waves of the gulf were coming higher now, and our party would soon have to come to an end.

But this moment with Rachel – this was only the beginning.