33 | Proof

Oh, and I don't want to die for you

But if dyin's asked of me

I'll bear that cross with honor

'Cause freedom don't come free

- Toby Keith, "American Soldier"

Tallahassee, Florida

Rachel

Alex and I rushed to a park bench, and I slid to answer the call, holding my iPhone in front of my face.

"Dale?" I asked urgently.

The screen was black for a few moments, but then when it focused, I could see that he was injured – a bandage around his head, bruises on his face, and what looked like a sling around his neck. "Rach – Rachel?" he said, the connection scratchy.

"Yes, Dale, oh my God... you're all right," I breathed in relief.

He nodded. "All things considered, I'm good," he agreed. "I had to get in touch with you; Miles and I had an agreement before we left that if anything happened to either one of us, we'd get in touch with the other's significant other."

I nodded, tears filling my eyes. "I'm so glad you're okay... Dale, what's going on? What happened to Miles?"

He looked around, his eyes darting left and right before he leaned in closer to whatever device he was using. "I don't know anything for sure, Rachel, but... I think he's been taken hostage."

I heard Alex's sharp inhalation next to me, and his arm slid around my shoulders. Ordinarily, I probably would've pushed him away, but I couldn't move.

"Hos – hostage? Are – are you kidding?" I asked, knowing damn good and well he wasn't.

Because who the hell would joke about that?

"Rachel, I don't know for sure, but my gut is telling me that something is very wrong. I've been hearing whisperings around the infirmary. But I promise you, they'll do everything they can do find them, and when they do, they'll get him back," he said, so quietly that I could hardly hear him.

The tears spilled onto my cheeks, my body beginning to quake.

"Dale – " I started, but he shook his head.

"I have to go; this wasn't a planned call, so they were doing me a favor. I promise, I'll Skype again if I hear anything at all, okay?"

I nodded, and the call disconnected. My phone slipped from my hand onto the grass, and when Alex tightened his arms around my shoulders, I didn't protest.

I just wept.

Panama City Beach, Florida

Luke

Knowing that my brother was out lost in the desert somewhere did nothing for my work ethic. All I did all day was sit at my desk and stare out the large window at the gulf.

I had been sitting for the third hour straight, a pen in my hand, writing nothing, when my dad knocked on the open door.

"Hey son," he said, tilting his head to the side. "You all right?"

I sighed, spinning to face him in my chair. "Not really, no. All I can think about is Miles."

He nodded and sat in the wingback chair across from my desk, stretching his legs in front of him. "Me too. I have so much to do, but I can't seem to concentrate. I just feel so damn helpless, you know? Like, I'm his father. I'm supposed to be able to save him."