1 | Not Alone

To you, I'll give the world

To you, I'll never be cold

'Cause I feel that when I'm with you,

It's all right... I know it's right.

-Fleetwood Mac, "Songbird"

Two Months Later - Tallahassee, FL

Miles

"Yes, Ma. Yes," I said, rolling my eyes at the phone. "I know, I know. You're coming up in a couple days, so I'll see you guys then, all right?" I paused and sighed. "Ma, don't cry. I'm going to be fine," I assured her.

I listened to her fuss over me for just a moment more. "Ma... Ma!" I exclaimed. "I gotta go. I'll see you in a few days, okay, love you!" I blurted, ending the call and tossing my phone onto the chair in the corner.

Walking into our bathroom, I came up behind Rachel and put my hands on her hips. "You look positively delicious," I murmured against her skin.

She giggled and dropped the eyeliner into the sink, turning to me and wrapping her arms around my neck.

"Is that right?" she asked, and I picked her up swiftly and sat her on the edge of the countertop.

"Yeah, it is," I growled, sweeping her off the counter and into our bedroom. 

***

Afterward, she lay in my arms, and I felt moisture from her eyes onto my chest.

"Babe? What's wrong?" I asked, looking down at her and pushing her hair out of her face.

"I can't believe you're leaving in two weeks," she whispered, wiping her eyes.

"Oh, baby. It won't be for long. Boot camp is only 9 weeks, then I'll go to specialized training for 5 weeks, and then I'll get assigned to a post," I said, brushing the tears off her cheeks.

She sniffled. "But... but what if they deploy you? Like, overseas?"

"Staff Sergeant Riggs doesn't think that's going to happen, babe."

"But does he know for sure?" she asked, sitting up and leaning against the headboard.

I sighed and shook my head. "Well, no. I suppose he doesn't. But Rachel... I've already been sworn in. This is a done deal. I thought you were okay with this," I said gently, not wanting to upset her further.

She took a deep breath. "I am okay with it – I really am. I just... thinking of you in Afghanistan or something in the middle of some battlefield." She shivered. "It just scares me, that's all."

I pulled myself up to sit in front of her, crossing my legs at the ankles. I put my hands on her cheeks. "I'm going to be working with engineering... not an infantryman. Even if I did get deployed, I wouldn't be on the front lines. But baby, that may not even happen," I said, peppering her face with kisses. "There is a much bigger chance that I'll stay right here in the United States."

She nodded and her eyes cleared. "Okay. Okay, I'm alright now," she said, letting out a little laugh. "It's just going to be different, you know? We've been together nearly every day since we were 18. Now we're 22 and you're going to be going who knows where for 14 weeks. Then who knows where after that," she said.

I considered this. "Okay, look at it this way: in 14 weeks, you'll be very nearly done with your first semester of grad school, right?"

She nodded. "Yeah. You're leaving August 1, right?"

"Yes. So 14 weeks from August 1 is right before Thanksgiving. You'll only have a couple more weeks before finals, and then it'll be Christmas. Riggs all but promised me that I'd be home for Christmas before being assigned my first post. Your classes will transfer to another school with the same program, right?"

She nodded again.

"Okay. Then we'll be together again, just like normal. You'll go to school and I'll go to work building bridges and stuff. In America... not in Afghanistan. Okay?" I teased, pushing a lock of hair behind her ear.

She rolled her eyes and leaned into me, putting her head on my shoulder. "I'm going to miss you, Miles."

"I'll miss you. But we can FaceTime... and I'll write you letters like in the olden days," I said, and she laughed. A real laugh. "There's my girl," I said, kissing her cheek.

"I'm going to be here all alone pretty soon... Luke and Brooke move back to PCB in just a couple weeks," she pointed out.

I curled my lip. "I know. I don't really like the idea of that, with everything that happened..." I said, trailing off.

"Miles, Iris is in the state hospital in Jacksonville. She's not getting out anytime soon," she said.

"I know, I know... but I just don't like the thought of you living by yourself," I insisted.

"Yeah... me either, really, but I did have an idea," she said cryptically.

"And that would be...?"

Jessica

"Would I!? Absolutely!" I exclaimed into the phone, causing Parker to jump out of his skin. Sorry! I mouthed to him.

"You would?" Rachel asked. "Really? You're not just saying that?"

"No! I would love to live with you, Rachel! My parents were just saying that I needed to find a place of my own now that I'm graduated, and Parker is stuck in a year lease with those three dudes from the baseball team, so this is perfect!" I squealed, grabbing Parker's hand and punching his knee with it excitedly. He grinned, shaking his head.

"Excellent!" she said. "Luke and Brooke are moving out in two weeks, so you can move your stuff in after that!"

"Perfect. Thank you, Rachel, you have no idea how much easier this makes things for me," I said gratefully.

"Me too," she said, and I could hear the smile in her voice. "Now Miles won't be all worried about me being by myself while he's away at boot camp."

I shook my head. "Miles at boot camp... that still sounds so foreign to me."

"Tell me about it. Listen, Jess, I gotta run, but I'm so excited!" she said.

"Me too. Talk soon, Rach," I replied, ending the call and abruptly jumping onto Parker's lap, putting one leg on either side of his hips. "Did you hear that?!" I shrieked.

He laughed and kissed my cheek. "I think everyone in the apartment complex did, Jess," he teased.

"Ha ha," I said, punching him lightly on the chest. I raised my eyebrows and squeezed his pec. "Hey, you've been working out," I said.

"Sure have; I was wondering when you'd notice," he said, pretending to be hurt.

"Aww," I cooed, leaning forward and planting kisses on his neck. "I'm sorry, Park. I've been stressed out about finding a place to live... but now that that's over," I said, wiggling my eyebrows.

He grabbed my hips and flipped me over so I was underneath him on the couch. "Now that that's over," he echoed, leaning down and pressing his lips to mine.

 "Now that that's over," he echoed, leaning down and pressing his lips to mine