23 | Thanksgiving

My wish for you

Is that this life becomes all that you want it to.

-Rascal Flatts, "My Wish"

Panama City Beach, Florida

Rachel

Thanksgiving dinner was, as always, loud, warm, and delicious. This year, Mom and Dad decided to have everyone over to their house, and it felt like old times... like all the Thanksgivings of my childhood, except, of course, for the absence of James. It didn't matter how many years passed, my parents would always keep that empty chair for him at the dining room table. It broke my heart every time, but I honestly think it would break my heart more if they stopped leaving it empty.

By the time everyone got to the house, Mom and I had just finished cooking, and we had Miles setting the table.

"Welcome everyone!" Mom greeted in her cheerful, sunny voice, and I once again admired her ability to entertain. I would never be as good at it as she was - even at times when I knew her heart was hurting.

***

After we ate dinner, we sat around and watched football, talked about school, Miles' training and upcoming deployment, and the baby. After all the football games ended, or at least the ones our dads cared about, the four of us decided to go out shopping, but only after intense pleading from me and Brooke.

"Rachel, come on," Miles whined. "Please don't make us do that!"

Luke nodded in agreement. "I'm in a turkey coma"

I glanced at Brooke and winked. "Fine. We'll just go to the mall alone... two young ladies, one pregnant, alone at the Panama City mall. It'll be fine," I said, getting up and holding my hand out to Brooke, who took it and handed me my purse.

"Sounds good, Rach. I'll drive," she said, glancing at me sidelong. I almost snorted.

Miles and Luke both jumped up, almost falling over each other. "No way. We're coming too," Luke said, wrapping his arm around Brooke's shoulder.

I threw my head back and laughed. I knew they wouldn't let us go alone - not with Brooke pregnant... And Miles and I were hardly apart these days.

Miles glared at me and swatted my butt playfully.

I gave him an evil laugh and ran out to the Jeep, jumping in the backseat so Brooke could have the front.

On the way to the mall, Luke sat in the back with me, and when we were about halfway to the mall, he leaned over and asked me how I was doing.

"Oh," I said, shrugging. "I guess I'm okay... for a while there it was pretty touch and go. I was crying constantly, but now I only cry three times a day," I joked, winking at Luke.

But he just frowned. "I hate to hear you've been so upset, Rach."

I nodded. "Me too, but it's going to be okay." I looked at him seriously. "Right?"

Luke turned his head to the side and put his hand on mine. "Right. I promise."

I'd heard that before.

Brooke

On the Monday after Thanksgiving, I paced around the waiting room. After a few minutes of wearing a rut in the carpet, I turned to Luke. "Holy shit, Luke. We're about to find out the gender of our baby. Are you ready for this?" I rattled, and Luke lay his hands on my shoulders gently.

"Yes, baby. I am. And so are you. Calm down," he assured me, kissing my temple.

I took a deep breath, and just then, the nurse opened the door to the examination rooms. "Brooke Kane?"

I looked at Luke and grinned. He threaded his fingers through mine and we followed the nurse down the hallway, where we entered our regular exam room.

Dr. Young walked in a few minutes later and smiled at us warmly. "Good afternoon, you two! Are you ready for this?"

We both nodded vigorously, and as she set up the ultrasound, my heart sped up.

As if he knew, Luke took my hand and kissed my forehead. "Breathe, darling. It's going to be fine."

I nodded, and Dr. Young began to speak again.

"Okay, Brooke, you know the drill. This is going to be cold," she warned as she spread the gel over my rounding belly.

She touched the wand to my stomach and pushed around for a moment. "There's the heartbeat," she murmured. "Everything looks perfect."

Luke and I looked at each other in relief.

"And now... the moment you've been waiting for," she said dramatically. "Awww," she whispered.

"What? What is it?" I asked eagerly, and Luke leaned closer.

She pointed at the screen and smiled. "There's your baby girl," she announced.

I immediately started crying and looked up at Luke, who looked elated.

"A daughter?" he whispered, looking down at me. "She's going to be beautiful and perfect... just like her mother," he murmured, kissing me gently.

I smiled against his lips, feeling happier in this moment than I ever had in my entire life.