37 | It's You

"Where've you been?

I've looked for you forever and a day.

Where've you been?

I'm just not myself when you're away."

-Kathy Mattea, "Where've You Been?"

Washington D.C.

Rachel

"Stop shaking your leg," Brooke hissed in my ear, putting her hand on my knee.

I put my foot flat on the floor and cleared my throat. "Sorry," I whispered. "I'm freaking out here."

Adam, Jane, Luke, Brooke, and I were sitting in the waiting room at Walter Reed Medical Center, waiting to reunite with Miles. I didn't know how much longer I could wait. Every time the double doors at the end of the hall opened, our heads would snap in that direction, hoping it would be someone coming to tell us it was time to go see him.

"I know," Brooke whispered. She left her hand on my knee and squeezed gently. "I'm sure they'll be out in a min –"

Brooke was interrupted by the opening of the double doors, and a uniformed woman was approaching us with a doctor at her side.

"Oh shit," Luke mumbled from next to me. "That has to be for us."

I nodded and stood up, the rest of them following suit as the two women approached us.

"The family of Miles Salazar?" the uniformed woman asked.

Adam nodded. "Yes. That's us."

"Excellent. I'm Corporal Paula McPherson, and this is Dr. Helen Baker. You may go back and see Officer Salazar now, but only in small groups, no more than two at a time. We don't want to overwhelm him or any of the other patients in the ward."

Everyone turned to me. "You go first, Rachel," Jane said, glancing at Adam who nodded agreement.

"Absolutely," Luke agreed.

I smiled at them gratefully and followed the doctor through the double doors, the corporal staying behind to talk to Adam and Jane.

"Is there... anything I need to know before I see him?" I asked quietly as we walked down the sterile, stark white hallway.

She looked at me and nodded briefly. "He is pretty beaten up, with bruises and cuts on his face and on his arms and torso; a couple of the cuts were pretty deep, so he's got some stitches. His wrist is sprained from all of the..." she paused and cleared her throat, "handcuffing he endured." He may be jumpy and skittish – he has a moderate case of PTSD, which we will discuss with you all after you've had a proper reunion. But that's really all you need to know. He's been asking for all of you – but especially you, Rachel," she said, squeezing my shoulder as we stopped outside a cracked door. "I'll leave you alone. Stay as long as you wish," she said, walking to the nurse's station a few yards away.

"Thank you," I murmured, putting my hand on the doorknob and pushing it open.

When I stepped into the room and my eyes fell on Miles, his face split into a wide grin, and tears filled his blue eyes.

"Rachel, baby," he whispered, sitting up as much as he could against the slightly elevated mattress. "Is that really you?"

I ran my hand through my hair and nodded, my face crumpling as I ran to him and threw my arms around his neck, sobbing into his chest. "Miles, Miles, Miles..." I repeated over and over, every hurt, worry, and heartache leaving my body by way of my tears. "I can't believe you're here," I murmured, lifting my face to look at him, putting my hands on both of his cheeks, running my thumbs gently across the cuts and bruises that marred his tanned skin.