{thirty-four}

I was running. The wind whipped through my fur, my eyes focused on paths, and my mind focused on one thing and one thing only - escape. There was no time to think about what I could've done differently - no time to think about my rationale. Escape. That was my priority and there was more on the line than just my life, Celia's frozen grip on my back was proof of that - the fact that I even made it out of estate was even more proof. I only had to rely on one more person to get out - Bo.

How much further? I asked Celia. When I didn't get a response, I stopped in my tracks. My paws dug into the soft dirt beneath them and I took a moment to catch my breath. If I could've looked at Celia, I would've. But since she was on my back, I merely called even louder.

Celia. Her hands loosened their grip around me for a brief moment.

Yeah? She answered timidly. Why are we stopping? I shook my head. We couldn't waste time, so I sniffed the air around me instead.

At first, it was hard for me to get passed the strong rusty-iron clad smell that had wrapped around the entire upper half of my body - but then it became easier. The smell of pine separated from that of the other trees, the dirt, the subtle traces of bloodhound scents... and then there it was - a familiar scent of his - the smell of coffee from the brews he made daily for both my mother and myself. I felt a pang in my heart. Don't think. I reminded myself. Just move.

So I did.

Bo had been waiting for us at what looked like an unguarded gateway. Though, judging by the bodies that peeked out from the small guard houses on either side of the gate - it had definitely been guarded before he got there. Bo bowed his head as soon as he saw us and I lowered my legs down, allowing Celia to climb off of me.

Whose car? I asked, looking over at the black SUV that had been parked at the gate.

Your mother's. He replied, before offering a kind smile.

"I have water and a few towels prepared inside, we should get moving," he said aloud, I noted the look he gave me, probably examining the blood that had begun to cling to my body. His gaze didn't last too long though as he turned on his heel and opened up the trunk. Bo had moved around the seats, giving me ample room to sit, and I watched as Celia unloaded some clothes from her bag and rested them in the car.

"I'll leave the bloodvacs there too, take three, just for stability - I know you just... you know, but this will do more to satiate you," she said and I could tell she was still shaken by what had happened earlier. I gave her a light bark before I placed my front paws onto the car and hopped in.

Once the drive began, I clung onto the flooring as my body began to shift back into its human form. The pain was barely there now - probably because I had fed - though my body felt sore, it was nothing compared to the first time. Bones clicked and re-shaped, my fur receded, and though I let out a whimper and a yelp here and there, I soon found myself looking at my hands, my fingers covered in dirt and my mouth and chest damp and crusty from dried blood. I grabbed a towel from one of the chairs, sighing in relief at its warmth as I wiped myself down. I pressed it against my face and then my mouth. I remembered the feeling of flesh in my mouth, the strength that it took to bite down, my fangs that had dug in... Forget it. Not now. I continued to wipe myself down, I remembered the smell of iron, the tangy taste of it, the feeling of it dripping down...

"Are you okay?" Celia asked, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"I'm fine," I replied quickly as I proceeded to clean up. I knew she was genuinely concerned but also relieved that I, at least, looked human now. "Do you have a towel up front?"