{thirty-one}

Minds are just like houses, Auden. Aurelia's voice said and I flipped a page of the book in front of me. Ezra was on a phone call, but considering the fact that he wasn't speaking, it was just plain weird.

Yeah, well, his is a locked up loony house. I replied before flipping another page. Aurelia did well to choose more... challenging books. I got frustrated often and reading about complex surgical processes did not help. As soon as Aurelia learned that I was a vet, she adapted her choice of books, though we had the occasional bloodhound history book, and since I figured out how to make an open line of communication with her a few weeks ago, we spoke quite often. She made for great company.

I didn't even have to be in this damn office to contact her. Our only problem now, rested on longer distance communication, which I couldn't exactly test out... and Ezra seemed to rub that fact into my face by using a phone.

"I don't understand why you'd read a book that causes such frustration," Ezra said as he hung up the phone.

"How do you have signal?" I asked, eyeing the phone on his desk. He smirked.

"I operate a nearby cell-tower. Sometimes it runs, sometimes it doesn't," he replied and I nodded before turning back to my book.

"I'm surprised you haven't cried," he said and I refused to look up at him. "I hear mate bonds are quite... heart wrenching."

"Sorry, I couldn't hear you over my intensely heart wrenching urge to leave," I replied, earning a smile on Ezra's face. Fucking weirdo.

"Still haven't given up? Not that you've made any attempts," Ezra said and I glared at him. "No comebacks?"

"How's it feel being locked out of my head? I imagine it must really suck for your ego," I said with a smile before closing my book and standing up. "You may have everyone else dancing around the palm of your hand, but not me, and that must really really suck." I hissed before shoving the book into his stomach as hard as I could. I heard him wince slightly as I turned on my heel.

"Where do you think you're going-"

"To my room. I can find my own way," I said as I slammed the doors shut behind me.

I had little freedoms granted now, like walking to my room and to the library by myself. Ezra still guarded me and I'd spotted more than a few bloodhounds hanging around to make sure I was going where I was supposed to. That was the first time I'd done anything like an outburst. Ezra would definitely find a way to punish me - at least Aurelia told me he would.

When I got to my room, I simply hopped into bed. I listened to the sounds around me - there were definitely a ton more people around. I took a deep breath, preparing to contact Aurelia, when the doors to the room opened and Ezra walked in, a hard look in his eyes.

"Get up." I did as I was told. "Follow me." I didn't bother making conversation. I simply walked behind him.

Celia was nowhere in sight and neither was Bo as we made our way through the halls. Although, there were four other people shadowing us, probably for safe measure.

"Do you know how much blood you're receiving nowadays?" Ezra suddenly asked as we walked past the library, followed by his office.

"Full doses, three times, everyday," I replied just as he turned a left and it suddenly dawned on me that we were heading exactly where I had to go.

We paused at the door and I realized that Ezra had to put in the code. Minds are just like houses. I took a deep breath. More than a few beeps later, the door clicked open and Ezra stepped inside. No luck getting that code... I thought to myself. The room was cold and unexpectedly silent, save for the whirring of a machine and a soft beeping noise that came between regular intervals. In a room almost identical to mine, lay a hospital bed, in which a woman lay down... Celia hung up an IV bag and as she proceeded to work, her eyes met mine with a kind of pitiful sadness. Ezra walked over stopped at the foot of the bed. I felt a sudden tightness in my chest and a dryness in my throat.