{one}

Crave Me © 2017 Nique Joaquin

Author's Note: It's been a while since I've gotten into a character like this, but as always, I'm warning y'all, she curses quite a bit - I doubt she curses as much as Elair does but - Auden curses. So if you've read Break Me, Mate at the slightest, you know the drill. 

------

I groaned as I hauled myself into my apartment, pulling off my thick black coat and gloves. I laid my bag down onto a nearby kitchen counter and groaned at its weight. Just thinking about the paperwork I had to fill out was stressing me out.

"Are you sure you aren't gonna come home this week? I miss you," my sister, Zaina, said through the phone that I had squeezed between my shoulder and my ear, I smiled as I switched on the lights in my kitchen and reached for a bottle of wine.

"You know I can't, I just finished my hours at the pet clinic which means I have to stay here to make sure that everything works out well with my little patients and our new apartment business. Plus, I haven't finished everything on your stupid checklist. Seriously, why do I have to buy your clothes? I'm not your assistant Zaina," I said as I poured myself a glass of wine before walking over to my windows. Snow had begun to fall this evening, littering the ground with specks of glittery fragments of ice. I took a sip of my wine before setting it down on a nearby table and sliding the windows open.

"But you live in the city and know it by heart... and I mean, you know, you could basically take over for me," Zaina said and I rolled my eyes.

"Not if I was the last woman on Earth." In a figure hugging grey sweater and jeans, I savored the cold against my skin and enjoyed the city.

"Not woman, she-wolf," Zaina corrected.

"Half-wolf. There's a reason I'm living a human life, Zaina. And we both know you just want to be the pampered princess you are," I countered as I leaned against the railings and peered down on the streets, savoring the serenity and calm of winter... Before I heard what sounded like a wince... A dog's wince.

"Hey, mom and dad called me Princess for a reason..." she trailed off and I paused, straining to hear more of whatever was happening.

"Um, Zaina, I'm gonna have to drop this call. I'll call you later." I didn't give her a chance to speak as I hung up on her.

Followed by a loud thud to my left.

I turned my head, the balconies were divided by a panel of thick concrete walls. So I see nothing... but that sound had definitely come from next door. And I was sure no one lived there. I paused for a moment before I heard another thud, followed by another, a muffled shout, and then a crash... and... I do believe I heard a growl. Shit.

I went back into my apartment, slid the door to my balcony closed, and walked over to the kitchen counter before opening the cabinet below the sink. I pulled out a silver pistol and checked the magazine - fifteen rounds. Okay... Maybe you're overreacting... I thought to myself but I shook my head. Either way, someone might need medical attention and I was the closest person here.

I took the gun in my hands and closed the sink before I placed my ear against the left wall of my apartment. I heard movement, a kind of dragging noise... But no voices - which meant either that someone was passed out. Then again... maybe an unexpected new neighbor got drunk and a friend was taking care of them.

Either way, I was gonna check. I tucked the gun in the waistband of my jeans and pulled on a loose black jacket before leaving my apartment and knocking on the next door. I knocked three times, paused, and then knocked harder.

Crave Me [EDITING and ON HIATUS]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें