The Tears (27)

Aeress

     "Ma'am?" 

     Aeress blinked against the bright lights from above and focused on the doctor. "I'm sorry?" 

     He was a shorter man, closer to an even five feet, with thin hair and kind eyes wrinkled from too much smiling. "No pain where I press?" He was gently pressing his fingers all around her middle section. 

     "No. Nothing." 

     He nodded. "Not ticklish are we? Most of my patients are embarrassed by now because of it." 

     "No, it does, I guess I'm just distracted."

     "Ah, I see." He pressed in a couple more places to study her physical reaction, but he seemed appeased by her lack of reaction instead. "Okay, it looks like no major damage was done, though it could be due to your supernatural ability of healing." 

     Aeress gaped at him. "Am I a werewolf?" 

     He chuckled and quickly stopped when he registered the pure anxiety on her face. "You wouldn't be on this island if you were simply a werewolf, ma'am" 

     "But I'm not just human anymore, am I?" She knew better, but wanted to hear it from an expert. 

     He sat down on the stool near him, fixing his sleeves. "From all my years of research, I can positively conclude that you have another entity in your body, but without proper evidence, the nature of this creature cannot be successfully determined." 

     "Isn't that what the Candor Trials are for, to see what I'm made of?" 

    He looked around dubiously. "Yes, in theory..." He then stopped himself as though he thought better of it. "Excuse my blunt tongue, as Premier's mate, I should be more respectful. I'm sorry-" 

     She was tired of having to comfort people for being themselves around her, but after spending time with people like Warrick, she couldn't blame them for their fear. "How could I help with finding proper evidence?" 

     "Well..." folded his arms in thought. "We could start with your blood. A vile of it to study, if only I had your blood prior to the awakening."

     She held out her arm. "Prick me." 

____________________________________________

      When she got to her bedroom door, she found it off-putting that there were no guards present, but knew it wasn't serious. 

     She was sweaty after a four hour session with Klein. He liked working her to the bone, until her limbs felt like jelly and her lungs were of fire. But each time, it got easier and easier to push herself just a little farther each time. 

     "Klein has done well with you." 

     Aeress hesitated right as she was about to enter her room. It took a few seconds for her to gather her thoughts and realize it was who she thought it was. When she finally turned around, she was greeted by her supposed mate. 

      So handsome and stern, it should have been a crime. How he could so simply stand there in all black, an outline of night against the brighter walls. His luxurious locks was the only detail on his body with life. Even his eyes were dull, without the flame she thought she had evoked. 

     She didn't know what to feel, having not seen him in over a week. "Well, unlike you, he stuck around." She folded her arms. Whatever he had to say, she was pretty sure it would piss her off.