Some God (19)

Aeress

     "Calm yourself, I can still sense your blood racing," his voice encircled her, "your heart pounding. This will never work unless you try to some measure." 

     "I can't do it," she whispered with her eyes squeezed tightly shut. If she were honest, she would admit that she was completely terrified. 

     Every time he passed in front of her, a shadow shot cross her eyelids. The room was quiet and dark, lit from melted candles  bolted to the walls. The only sound was a trickling of water. 

     His voice sounded farther away. "You can. It's as natural as breathing." 

     She scoffed. "Easy for you to say, you don't have a demon living inside of you, do you?" She realized she sounded ridiculous saying that to a werewolf. They both knew it too. 

     "Stop thinking." He commanded. "Stop talking about trivial things. Just do." 

     Aeress grunted obnoxiously to display her frustration but decided to try this time, because the trials would come sooner than later and she wanted to be prepared as possible. She relaxed her eyelids and took in deep, calming breaths. "Please... Godhead," she spoke aloud, "it's Aeress. Please talk to me." Quietness followed. The pounding of her heart was blaring, revealing her fear.

     "Picture yourself in a room," he instructed and she did as asked, "A simple room with nothing remarkable in it. Few details to remember. There's a door. Behind the door is who you seek, but only if you will them to."

     Aeress steadied her breathing, inhaling and exhaling deeply and calmly. She focused on the imagery in her mind until it was all she could see or even acknowledge-this took several long, agonizing minutes of concentration. She pictured a simple wooden door. Her hand hovered above the doorknob with apprehension. 

     A long time passed before she finally put her hand on the knob. She twisted but the door did not give. "It's locked?" She was confused. This was her door! Shouldn't it open if it's her door?!

    Is it? A thought snaked into her mind. 

     She looked around the plain room. No key! 

     "I just want to talk," she repeated to herself, trying to prevent herself from chickening out. She leaned toward the door and pressed her ear against the surface to listen in. "Hello?" 

    Something flew from under the door, scaring Aeress half to death. She picked it up and examined the plain, metal key. 

     Plan your next course of action carefully, girl. 

     Aeress knew exactly who was speaking to her. Was this a warning? Maybe this whole thing was a terrible idea? The last time this spirit was unleashed, a lot of people were hurt-more than hurt. 

     And then she thought back to the whole reason she needed to do this in the first place. She'd fail the trials, maybe even die if she didn't try to find herself in accord with Godhead. 

     "I'm doing this for us," Aeress responded cautiously. "You've been in my head, you must know what is going on."

     You've locked me away, scared girl. So scared, very scared. And what of? One cannot fear themselves, can they? 

     Aeress didn't know whether she should be reassured. This voice was compelling and ancient, echoing for a thousand years. She wanted to trust it, but she couldn't get past the images of the carnage this creature had caused. 

     She approached the door and sighed. "I am going to open the door now... Just, please..." She didn't know what she was pleading for as she put the key in the lock and turned it. The knob twisted, opening the door.