→1.14←

June felt numb.

For the first time since the first day that they arrived, nothing felt real. There was no way Cassandra could be dead. It wasn't possible.

Allie sat beside June at the front pew, but neither girl glanced over at each other. Both of their eyes were trained ahead. June's heart broke for her friend. She had only become close to the two in their short time there, but she knew what Allie was going through. She had just lost her best friend. The same way June had, a few months before, with her mom.

"You okay?" Will asked, gently placing a hand on Allie's shoulder.

For the first time, June glanced over at the girl. She watched the tears well in her eyes, and the way she avoided looking at Will. June then shot the boy a look, although he didn't see it. She wanted to scream. Of course she's not okay, dumbass.

Will was pulled away when his eyes fell on something, or someone, behind them. June glanced back as the boy marched away, her face contorting with disgust. Side-by-side, Campbell and Harry sauntered into the church. Her stomach was in knots at the mere sight of the boys. They shouldn't be there.

June watched on, though Allie's eyes were still fixed ahead. She couldn't hear the boy's conversation, until Will raised his voice, causing her to jump.

"Get the FUCK out," His voice vibrated throughout the room, causing everyone to glance their way. Finally, him and June agreed on something.

Gordie intervened, their voices dropping back to a low whisper. Not that it mattered, the church had gone completely silent, every ear listening in to what they were saying. June's eyes were pulled away from the unfolding confrontation to the girl next to her. Allie was the only one not sparing the boys a glance. Instead, she was still staring ahead, but now, she shook with her silent sobs.

When June looked back again, the altercation had ended. Will stood firmly in between the pews, his hands balled into fists. Campbell took his place beside Elle, who was looking around sheepishly. When their eyes met, Elle immediately looked down. June couldn't even be disappointed or upset. She couldn't feel anything.

With everything dying down, it was time to begin. Allie stood and made her way to the front, Helena taking her seat after. Tears streaked down Allie's face, illuminated by the bright lights overhead. For the first minute, everything was silent, as the crowd watched the girl stare at the lifeless body of her sister. Then, she cast her eyes out, to the people she had always known. To the people who couldn't save Cassandra.

"My sister, Cassandra, was good," Allie started. "She was a good person. Um... She was captain of the debate team, you didn't want to argue with her."

There was a pause as Allie's eyes scanned over the crowd. She sniffled, then drew her lips into a firm line. No one dared to make a sound.

"Who did this?" Her voice grew stronger. "Huh? Who shot my sister?"

The last sentence came out in sobs, and June felt her heart break. Perhaps, she did have the capacity to feel. In fact, she was feeling everything so strongly, she had lost the ability to process it all.

"Why did you do that?" The girl cried out. June felt the tears begin to pool in her eyes for the first time all day. "We needed her!"

June didn't let her tears fall, because she couldn't. She could cry later, and she was sure she would. Now, Allie was her priority. She quickly rose from her seat and made her way to the stage. To her right, Will had the same idea. The two offered each other a glance before taking either side of Allie.

"I needed her," Allie cried softly. June tucked the hairs in her face behind her ear and slipped her hand into the girls, while Will placed a hand on her back. As she sobbed, her eyes trained on Cassandra's covered body, the guard rose and hoisted Cassandra up. As they carried her outside, the rest of the church followed.