→1.08←

June worked on her hair, fixing it at first into a bun before deciding she hated it and letting it fall down her back. She wasn't sure why she was trying so hard, all for a game of fugitive and a party afterwards, but her effort persisted. Allie had been quiet but smug ever since her interaction with Harry, and it kind of made June want to puke. She just didn't see the charm in the boy.

The girl sighed and glanced down at her phone, realizing she was basically out of time in terms of getting ready. She still needed to go to the Pressman house before meeting at the centre of town for fugitive, and Allie would get antsy if she didn't show soon. She did a once over of her outfit in the mirror—a pair of high waisted mom jeans and a black tank top tucked in. She stuffed her phone into her back pocket before retrieving her signature jean jacket from where it hung on the back of her door, then headed out of the house.

When she stepped outside, a gust of cold air immediately slapped her in the face. She found herself regretting her tank top choice and pulling her jacket tightly around her. It was spring, but people from the east coast learned to get used to temperamental weather. June quickened her pace, wanting to reach the house as quickly as possible.

Once June arrived, Allie opened the door as if she had been waiting there for her. June stumbled back, a bit shocked, as Allie fixed her sweater and tugged on her shoes. From somewhere in the house, June heard Cassandra's voice call out.

"Where are you going?"

"Out," Allie simply responded before stepping outside and letting the door close behind her. "We're going to be late."

"Sorry," June sighed, running a hand through her hair as she thought about how long she had spent deciding what to do with it.

"It's fine, might as well make Harry wait a little," Allie shrugged, seeming truly unbothered.

"You look nice," June noted, giving the girl a once over. It wasn't like she looked wildly different than usual, but there was something off about her. June wondered what her expectations were with Harry for that night, and if she'd be able to interfere with them. She knew she wasn't her mother and couldn't really stop her, she just didn't want her to do anything she would regret.

"Thanks," Allie beamed.

The girls walked side by side, more leisurely than June would have assumed they would. She found herself wondering who all would be playing, and why she was playing herself. The past couple of nights, when they had played the game in smaller groups, June had found it dangerous and immature. She had no desire to go through the anxiety of being chased or flying through the streets in a speeding car. But, for Allie, she'd try her best.

When they showed up, groups of people were standing around, awaiting instruction. To her left, June spotted Grizz and Elle speaking to one another. She felt her stomach do a flip as she eyed the girl, before forcing herself to look away. Harry, from the front of the crowd, spotted Allie and made his way to her.

"You showed up," He pointed at her, ignoring June's presence, as always.

"Well, who said I was playing? I could just be here to watch," Allie flirted. The two had a weird way of interacting that caused so much sexual tension. June always felt like she needed a shower after being around the two.

"Yeah, naturally," Harry smiled. "Why'd you change your mind?"

"I just need a distraction," Allie answered truthfully, before crossing passed him. "And you have a fast car."

He smirked at the girl before finally realizing June was there. His smiled faltered before he scratched the back of his head and looked around at the group that had gathered.