→1.06←

Ten days. That's how long it had been since they'd last seen their parents. And while in the light of day they all pretended as if they were keeping it together, it was undeniable that they were all falling apart. Each teen found solace in their own individual way. Some stayed out late partying, some prayed, and some just refused to be alone. June fell into the last group, choosing to stay over at the Pressman house as much as she could.

Sometimes she felt like a burden, but for the most part, the sisters were very welcoming. Sam Elliot and Will Leclair had been staying with them, too. Sam had, unfortunately, become homeless ever since Campbell shot off a gun in the church and told him not to come home, but the Pressman sisters didn't seem to mind the extra company. In fact, it always seemed as though ever more people were in their house, with Gordie and Becca often showing up as well.

On that morning, ten days later, Sam, Becca, and June sat side by side at the bar as Cassandra dished out eggs and Gordie poured coffee. The group laughed and talked effortlessly, and June found it strange how comfortable she felt around them. In the span of a little over a week, she had already melded into their dynamic and begun to feel less alone. 

"They can't actually believe that they can move the planets and the stars," Cassandra commented, referencing back to the group of kids gathered in the park. June had gone with Allie and Cassandra to see them, and all it really did was make her uncomfortable.

"Makes them feel better, doesn't have to do more than that," Allie comments as she passes out plates. June nodded in agreement at the girl's words.

"I hope it works for them, I'd like to find a way to feel better," Bean states, looking lost in thought.

"I like the eggs. Coffee, too. I feel better already," Sam spoke with a warm smile. June shot him a smile back as she dug into her eggs. 

"These are amazing, Cassandra," June nearly moaned, causing the older girl to chuckle.

They only got a few moments of stress-free bliss and silent eating before the group kicked back into work mode. Their main objective was to find out what was going on, and how they would be able to survive wherever they were.

"Alright, uh, we're headed back to town hall to see what's hidden in those files. Why this place is exactly like home, except with no parents and no smell." Becca informed, referencing to her and Sam.

"Maybe it was our parents who stank," Allie joked, causing Cassandra to laugh and nod in agreement.

"Yeah, that would explain it."

"A parallel universe," Gordie spoke up, wiping away any semblance of a joke that lingered on. When everyone got silent and waited for him to continue, he spoke again, signing too this time. "Uh, we're in a parallel universe. Or, maybe, I don't know."

Just then, the sound of the front door opening and closing alerted the group, and they turned to see Will strolling in. June resisted the urge to roll her eyes at the boy, never quite getting over how he treated Allie over a week before.

"Where have you been?" Allie questioned.

"Scoping out a new house, that big place on Carlyle is empty."

"The Gershenson's?" June inquired. The house belonged to the parents of one of her good friends, Tyler, a boy that was just shy of 16. She had tried her best not to think about her friends she'd left behind, or her dad, but hearing Will bring up their house flooded her with emotion.

"Fuck if I know, it's mine now," Will responded, causing June's emotions to quickly turn angry. "Oh, plus got some new kicks."

"No, it's not. You can't just take their house, and those are Tyler's shoes." She snapped as she eyed the boy's feet angrily.