→1.04←

The bikes started arriving in hoards at the end of the bridge. After that, all of the original group seemed to disperse and get lost in the chaos. June took the opportunity to go to the grocery store, because that seemed to be what everyone wanted to do. She wasn't hungry even slightly, but hoards of kids pushing shopping carts swarmed around her as if they had just been told the world was ending. Perhaps they had.

She felt somewhat numb watching from the entrance area. Had she thought things out, it would have been smarter to do an inventory of her kitchen and see what she needed, but it didn't seem anyone was thinking at that time. Her phone began to buzz, pulling her from her daze, and she stepped outside of the story to answer.

"Hello?" 

"Hey..." It was Allie, sounding quiet and unsure. "Where are you? I just wanted to talk to someone."

"The grocery store," June answered, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "You should probably come here, it's getting kind of out of control."

"I'm not far, I'll be there in five."

With that, June clicked off her phone and stuffed it back in her back pocket. She realized that at the surface, her and Allie don't exactly seem similar. But, with her and Will fighting and with Cassandra stressing about solving everything, Allie was just as alone as June in this. So, maybe they needed each other to lean on, and maybe it wasn't such a bad thing June had stopped to talk to her the night before.

Allie appeared in the parking lot shortly after their call ad bounded up to June. Her face was solemn and June wasn't sure if she had been crying, but she decided not to press her on it.  Wordlessly they turned and looked at the chaos unfolding in front of them, then walked in to join it.

They took a few steps in and eyed the kids running around. June was shocked to realize it was just as chaotic as before. Kids fought for food and pushed their shopping carts and seemed completely unaware of those around them. Allie drew in a deep breath and glanced over at June before realizing someone had come up on her right. June and Allie both realized Will had joined them at the same time. June awkwardly averted her eyes from the boy and braced for an argument.

"Fuck, huh?" Allie spoke, shaking her head as Will took in their surroundings. Will gave a slight nod, mouth agape, but his lack of response didn't seem to bode well for Allie. "I called you before." This made the boy look at her for the first time. "I just needed someone to talk to."

Her words made sense to June, making her realize Will had been her first call. The realization didn't exactly hurt her, because she knew if she had any other friends here, she would call them first. June awkwardly bit down on her lip, feeling as if she were interrupting a moment but not knowing whether she should walk away or not.

Allie moved from the girl's side so she was now standing directly in front of Will. Although tears pooled in her eyes, June could sense the anger radiating off of her. As she cocked her head to the side and looked the boy up and down, June made a mental note never to make the girl mad.

"You're really not talking to me?" She gave a few moments for him to speak up, but when he didn't, she continued. "What I did is not the worst crime in the world, and given everything, can't I get a tiny break?"

"We should get some food, before it's all gone." Was all he responded before placing a hand on the girl's shoulder. And while it seemed to be enough to appease Allie that he was simply talking to her, his choice of words made June want to slap him.

"I'll catch up with you guys," June informed, wanting to give the two some space.

"Meet back here in 10?" Allie offered, wiping at her eyes when Will wasn't looking.